Friday, October 23, 2009

Amber's 30th Birthday Celebration of Her Life


As I wrote in a previous post my dauther Amber had purchased her "Big 30" birthday scrapbook and stickers for her upcoming birthday on August 30, 2009.  She unexpectedly passed away on July 24 several weeks before her 30th birthday.  I was determined to use the scrapbook and stickers she had already purchased.  I knew she would have wanted me to.   We knew it would be a difficult day.  We decided to have a celebration of her life.  We asked everyone to bring a birthday card or a favorite memory of Amber. 
We invited family and friends and asked everyone to wear something purple - her favorite color.   We took pictures of everyone who attended so I can use them in her scrapbook.

Here is the Angel!
This is a picture taken last summer (2008) of us just "goofing off" with a crown someone had given Amber's sister Jennifer.  I will treasure this picture always.  I never knew at the time that this picture would mean so much to me.  Amber was always treated like a princess!



This is a table I set up with a basket near the front door for guests to put cards and memories in for her scrapbook.  Amber collected Precious Moment figurines so I purchased the ones she had on a wishlist for her birthday.  The picture is her prom picture in 1998 - wearing the color purple!  There is her crown in front of her picture! 


We had Amber's favorite cake from Edgar's Bakery in Birmingham.  The cake was huge!
I should have taken the plastic wrap off the brownies before I took this picture.  Of course we had all of her favorite fruits.


I prepared light snacks - chicken salad served on croissants, pasta salad, veggies and a cheese ball that Amber loved.


Here is a closeup of the cake.  It was just like I wanted - sunflowers, bees and ladybugs all of Amber's favorite things.  Everyone thought it was too cute to cut.  It was delicious!


Amber loved sunflowers.  I placed vases of them with mixed purple flowers on each table.
I made matching tableclothes for each table in the color PURPLE!


This is a plate I had purchased before she passed away.   It says "Today it's all about You".
 I only wish now I had given it to her when I purchased it so she could have used it. : (


Another picture of Amber and her birthday Precious Moments and her crown.


Balloons for her gravesite.


I purchased two sunflower stakes from Hobby Lobby and placed  them on both sides of the sidewalk to hold balloons, however it rained some that day and the balloons did not float at times.  They were still welcoming to guests.


We released 30 balloons in very bright colors for each year of her life. 
We had a special prayer for our  Angel in Heaven. 



This is Amber so happy a few months before she passed away.
 I will cherish every picture I have of her! (I have thousands)  Despite her disability, she always had a smile on her face.  She made the most of each day.  We miss her terribly!  We do know she is in Heaven out of her wheelchair, walking again and we will see each other again one day.
She was such a lovely, sweet, caring young lady.

I can't bring myself to begin the scrapbook just yet.  It may take me a few more months to do the scrapbook, but I will DO it in honor of Amber.

Thank you so much for reading about Amber and maybe she has inspired you too!

Blessings,
Donna

12 comments:

9405018--Pat said...

Beautiful post...Pat H

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great post! Thanks you for sharing her Birthday with us. (((hugs)))

from our front porch... said...

What an awesome birthday tribute! The cake is most beautiful I think I have ever seen; and I bet it was yummy too!
Thank you for sharing this day :)
Blessings, Misha

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Amber has inspired me, but you inspire me more. You will share her happiness in Heaven one day. Until that day comes, I pray you will find happiness and peace. I could almost be jealous that Amber has what we all long for, but we'll be there someday as well. Hugs to you; this party idea is wonderful.

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

God bless sweet Amber, and God bless you, Donna.

Pinky said...

I JUST found your blog from a comment over at Rhoda's and wanted to come over to say I am SO sorry for your loss. Your Amber looks just like the angel she now is! YOu did a beautiful tribute to her. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. XO, Pinky

Dogmom Diva said...

Donna, I also just found your blog from Rhoda's blog and had to come read about Amber..What a lovely tribute to your dear daughter and what a blessing she was to you and your family for her short time on this earth. And I'm sure it gives comfort to know you will be with her again someday..It's just a lovely post and I wanted to let you know that you are special...
hugs, Barb
http://dogmomdiva.blogspot.com/

Liz said...

This is such a sweet memorial to your precious daughter. I just don't have the right words. I also have a beautiful daughter and just the thought of loosing her makes me emotional. God Bless your heart!

~Liz

Donna said...

Thank you all for the sweet comments. They make my heart happy. Amber made me who I am. She was always my inspiration. I miss her so much. Yesterday was 3 months since she passed.
It has been a difficult 3 months and I have survived it with a lot of prayers.
Blessings,
Donna

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna-this was a wonderful birthday tribute for your beautiful daughter Amber...thank you for sharing it with us. I hope you have a good week...I have been praying for you and your family.

Blessings,
Linda

Thelma said...

I'm so sorry Amber did not get to celebrate her 30th birthday with you and her family and friends. You could not have done a better job of remembering her and celebrating her life.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Hi Donna,
I came back to read about Amber, what a beautiful special young lady! I like the birthday idea as a tribute to her.

Yes, I will be happy to pray for you. I can't imagine what you must be going through after losing her. I have two daughters and I do know how devastated I would be to lose one. I'm glad you have the wedding to look forward to, maybe that will help a little.

I do Creative Memories scrapbooking and host a CM workshop here on Tuesday nights. I wish you could join us! Scrapbooking is very therapeutic and perhaps this will help you when you are able to start on her scrapbook. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

My heart goes out to you. I'm praying for angels to minister to you as you walk through this difficult time.

May God bless you,

Katherine