Friday, October 9, 2009

Cookies and a Quilt Top

Here is a sampling of two things I love.

Homemade cookies...


I decided today I would bake cookies.  I love to bake and I like to make things simple.  What could be easier than making cookies from a cake mix.  These are made from two flavors of cake mix.  I used what I had on hand - a butter cake mix and a German chocolate cake mix.
They are so simple!  People will think you baked all day, but they only take a few minutes.  Just don't tell!
Here is the recipe if you want something quick and easy. 

Cake Mix Cookies

Vanilla Dough:

1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg, beaten to blend
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Chocolate Dough:

1 (18.25-ounce) box devil's food cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg, beaten to blend
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Vanilla Dough preparation:

Beat cake mix, oil, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in large bowl until dough forms.

Chocolate Dough preparation:

Beat cake mix, oil, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in large bowl until dough forms.

Cookie preparation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Scoop 1 teaspoon of vanilla dough into ball. Scoop 1 teaspoon of chocolate dough into ball. Gently press dough balls together, then roll gently to form one ball. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, spaced evenly apart. Bake for 10 minutes, or just until cookies begin to brown. Cool cookies on cookie sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to cooling racks and cool completely. Repeat with remaining chocolate and vanilla dough, forming about 6 dozen cookies total. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months.

And a homemade quilt top.
 


This a quilt top I need to quilt or have quilted.
(I should have pressed it before I took this pic)

It is called Autumn Ridge in the book Best of Black Mountain Quilts by Teri Christopherson.
It was very easy to sew together. The blocks are log cabin blocks and made of scraps. The only thing I stressed about was the placement to make sure the colors looked like a fall ridge.  

Of course around my house you can't take a picture of a quilt without a cat on it! 
This is Flip in the picture.  She has to be the center of attention when the camera comes out!  I have to admit she is photogenic!  Yes, Flip is a female.  Long story!

I hope you try the cookie recipe and thanks for stopping by.
 I really need to go sew!

Donna

4 comments:

Thelma said...

OH, I love this quilt. It's controlled scrappy!! I need to look into getting that book. Have you made any other quilts from it?

I too love cookies, but these days I mainly stick to the kind ready to bake in my grocers refrigerator case. That way I only cook then eat 3 at a time. My favorite cookie recipe has crushed potato chips in it, have you every tried it?

You must blog about Flip, everyone loves a good animal story!

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

The cookies look scrumptious, and so does the quilt.

Angie said...

Thanks for the great recipe! You must be very smart and patient to quilt. Welcome to the blogworld!

Sandy said...

Gotta try the cookies now, cute cat, great quilt- well done.