Thursday, November 12, 2009

Amber and Karen Kingsbury

Amber had never been much of a reader.  All through school she did not like to read the books that were required reading.  I had to make her read them!  : )
When I was hospitalized in 2001 for about a month in ICU she began to read again - after all my family spent all day in the waiting room for visiting hours to come around and the hospital was out of town.
 So she began reading and fell instantly in love with Karen Kingsbury's books.  She is a NY Times bestselling christian fiction author and the sweetest christian lady you will ever meet.  She and Amber beame friends over the past several years.  My entire family loves her.  Karen always took extra time with Amber and made her feel special!  Amber always looked forward to seeing her each visit when she was anywhere in the Southeast.
Karen has written over 30 books and has signed all of Amber's books with a special Bible verse in each for Amber. 
They kept in touch through emails, etc.


Amber and Karen Kingsbury this past May in Birmingham at the EWomen's Conference.  Amber was given "special treatment".  She had a special prayer for Amber in May.  It was so emotional to me and so heartwarming.  Who knew it would be the last booksigning Amber would attend.



At another booksigning in Tennessee a couple of years ago.
We have been all over the south to see Karen at booksignings.

Amber decided she wanted to make a scrapbook album with her meetings with Karen. The scrapbook is amazing! We spent so much time on the scrapbook.
Here is the front of the scrapbook.  It is overflowing at this point and I have more pics to add from the May event!


Amber came up with every creative idea in the scrapbook! 

This is just one page of the scrapbook!


Karen wrote this inside the album.

After Amber passed away in July, I emailed Karen and told her what had happened and she had a special tribute on her website for a week just for Amber!  It was so sweet! 
Amber would have been thrilled!
Karen even sent a huge basket of plants and flowers to our house after the funeral.  I have the plants all over the house and they are very special to my family.
I know Amber is looking down from Heaven and knows how much she meant to so many people.  She touched so many hearts with her attitude about her disability.


These are the latest two books Karen has written and I will visit Karen when she is back in the south and have her sign them just for Amber.  Amber had just finished reading Take Two before she passed away.  I always read the books after Amber read them.  They are wonderful reads if you enjoy Christian fiction.
I am taking the time to read this weekend. I may get tear-eyed at times but I will read these two new books!
 I will think of every page that Amber turned and read as I read Take Two.
Hopefully if you like to read and like Christian books you will read one of Karen's books.

Blessings,
Donna

11 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

oh how very special -- I've read some of Karen's books -- how nice to know what a wonderful person she is as well.

from our front porch... said...

Oh my gosh, I love her books! How special Amber must have been to capture this lady's heart!
I am so glad to know she is just as I imagined her to be.Thank you so much for sharing this, Donna!
Misha
p.s. I bet Amber is havong fun watching the Little One from heaven...what do you think?!

Colleen said...

What a special post! Donna you are so blessed to have so many wonderful, special memories with Amber. What a comfort it must be to look at her scrapbooks and all the pictures. I hope reading the books brings you peace and some comfort. You are a very strong lady!

debbie said...

DEAR DONNA,
I AM GIVING YOU SUCH A VERY BIG HUG THROUGH THE COMPUTER. I AM SO VERY SORRY THAT AMBERS' JOB HERE ON EARTH WAS COMPLETE AND SHE COULD GO HOME TO JESUS.
MY DAUGHTER, AMY, MY ONLY DAUGHTER 33 YEARS OLD JUST WENT HOME ON OCT. 23, 2009 AT 1012. SHE HAD CANCER AND MY HUSBAND AND I TOOK CARE OF HER 24/7 AND THE LAST 4 DAYS WERE JUST HORRENDOUS FOR HER.....HOSPICE SUPERVISED OUR CARE 3X'S WEEK.....I HAVE GONE TO THE DR. TWICE BECAUSE I WAKE UP AND RUN TO THE LIVING ROOM TO TAKE CARE OF HER AND MY HUSBAND HAS TO SPEND 30 MINUTES CONVINCING ME SHE IS DEAD....THE DR. SAID IT WAS SO STRESSFUL WATCHING HER IN PAIN AND DOING ALL HER CARE, IT IS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE. I HAVE 1 26 YEAR OLD SON AND HE IS MARRIED. MY SON AND MY HUSBAND ARE SCROOGES....AMY WAS MY LIGHT OF EVERY HOLIDAY....WE HAD SUCH A BOND I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE HAS JUST CUT A CHUNK OUT OF ME.
HOW ARE YOU DOING IT BEAUTIFUL LADY....MY AMY'S BIRTHDAY WAS JULY 6TH. I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT GETS EASIER BUT I KNOW MY LORD AND HE IS MY ROCK I RUN TO.
I AM SO VERY HAPPY TO MEET YOU AND I HOPE WE WILL BECOME FRIENDS AS WE WALK THROUGH THIS LONLINESS.
ANGEL HUGS
LOVE
DEBBIE

THAT SCRAPBOOK IS AWESOME

lanadunk said...

Dear Donna,
This is the first time for me to visit your blog...what a lovely tribute. Keep Writing.
Luke 1:78-79

Kerrie said...

What a wonderful post! I am so sorry for your loss! I linked from Blackberry Creek and so glad I did. God Bless! Kerrie

Valerie said...

This is my first visit with you. My heart goes out to you. You are in my prayers.

Becky said...

This is the first time I have read your blog. My heart aches with you. I too truly love Karen's books but have not had the priviledge of meeting her. What neat memories for you to hold onto. the scrapbook as well.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I have read some of Karen's books, but I will take a new interest in them now knowing that she is a very special person.

Jan said...

Hi :) I just happened across your beautiful Blog and have enjoyed reading about your precious Amber! I'm so very sorry for your families's loss. I know she's now an Angel in Heaven, but she certainly sounded like she was an Angel here on Earth as well!

I feel like I understand your heartache, as we lost our only child, our Daughter, Michelle, on April 28, 2007. She had battled Crohn's Disease for 23 long years ... the last 5 being the worse; and she went to Heaven suddenly and unexpectedly when a blood clot went to her lungs on a Saturday afternoon leaving us totally shocked and devastated. We had known for quite some time that we might loose her much earlier than we'd ever want, but we had no idea it would happen when it did.

We miss her every single day, but we have managed to come to peace with God's many decisions for her life. Knowing that she is no longer suffering brings us an abundance of joy; and the thoughts of her enjoying every single day in Heaven always warms my heart.

My prayers will be with you and your family as you continue down this very difficult journey. God's Speed to you all.

Jan said...

Oh and I almost forgot! We currently reside in South Florida, but we are originally from the great State of TN, which is where Michelle (Micki) was laid to rest just below her Grandfather.