Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Snowman Quilt & Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!  I hope everyone has a wonderful day and a safe holiday weekend.
This year will be especially hard for my family without Amber here with us.  I am thankful for so many things and the years we did have with our sweet Amber.

This is a quilt I wanted to share with you that Amber loved!


Amber always loved snowmen.  She saw this quilt in a quilt shop while on vacation in Tennessee and had to have it.  She asked me if I would make it for her and of course I said yes!
We purchased the kit and the fun began!  There is a snowman for each month.  It was a lot of fun to sew. I love to machine applique.  I am not an expert quilter but I love to try to quilt.  The borders to each snowman block are all different sizes and that was the most challenging thing to me... keeping each border size in the correct position.


This little snowman is too cute with his Christmas tree and little lights!


This one is called Bikini Betty.  I had never seen a snowman with a bikini!  Amber and I thought this was the funniest one.


Farmer Frosty is decked out in his overalls.


Rudolph is too cute with his red pom pom nose.


An Angel snow woman for Amber.


Ike Skater is going skating with his "paper clip" skates.


This is the label I embroidered for the back of the quilt.  I included the names of all of the snowmen or snow women.  It doesn't seem like it was 2005 when I made this quilt.  My how time flies!  That's why we should all date our quilts. 
Amber adored this quilt and of course I will cherish it as long as I live.
The snowman fabric I found was perfect for the backing.  I think the backing should be as pretty as the top.

Thanks for visiting and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Blessings and Hugs,
Donna

4 comments:

Sandy said...

What a darling quilt...quite an undertaking! How very special that quilt must be to you.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Donna, I think that your quilt is not only beautiful but a perfect memory to cherish for a lifetime. I am sending you an extra big (((hug))) today as I know your heart and the part of you that is remembering your beautiful Amber this Thanksgiving Day. Just know she is smiling down on you and loving you from above. May God Bless you and hold you tenderly in His arms for today and for the days to come.

with love,
Becky

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I have never seen this quilt patter - what a darling one and such a precious memory story. I hope you have a special Thanksgiving even though there will be one empty chair at your table. Hugs to you, friend. Be strong.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Your quilt is lovely and special. I hope the warmth it gives you helps you through the next few weeks.

Janelle