Sunday, January 10, 2010

Composition Book Makeover

Susan at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/
is having her weekly Met Monday and I thought I would share this simple inexpensive idea.



My daughter Jennifer is getting married in June and I have so many notes and memos accumulating.  The other day I needed something quick to jot down notes in and found this ugly composition book in my sewing/craft room.  It cost a dollar at Walmart when the school supplies were sold last summer.



I knew it would work for quick notes but it needed "brightening up" so I got out my scrapbooking supplies and went to work.


I used my paper cutter, paper punches and glue and went to work. 


I decided to use the flower punches since it is a wedding I am helping to plan. Jennifer's bridesmaids dresses are purple and they will carry bright colored bouquets ao I covered the book with purple paper and embellished the book with flowers I punched out.  So simple and much better than the ugly one I started with!


Here is my finished  "wedding notebook" with the purple background and bright colored flowers.  I like it so much better and I used the things I already had around the house.  There's one thing for sure I can easily find it at a glance because it is so bright!

Please go over to Susan's and see what other bloggers are sharing this week.  There's always so many inspiring ideas.

Thanks for stopping in.  I love reading your comments.

Blessings,
Donna

23 comments:

P@nmyfreetime.blogspot.com said...

this is adorable! i love always having a notebook!
i never did embellish my books but you have inspired me!!

Miriam said...

What a great idea! We have a wedding in the family coming up in the next few months too. Thank you for the inspiration.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I have a few notebooks lying around that I covered the front with scrapbook paper.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

It looks great! I always have notebooks with me for jotting down notes or "to do" lists. I love the colors.

Linda said...

Donna,
Looking good...I have never done this...looks like I should give it a try!

Blessings,
Linda

Paula said...

Cute notebook! I've been wanting to do something just like this. It's great that you had the supplies around the house and didn't have to buy a thing.

Rettabug said...

This turned out very nice, Donna. You're going to have a great keepsake after all the wedding preps are over, too. You'll be amazed at how fast it will all fly by, so take good notes. :D

debbie said...

DONNA,
GOOD MORNING...THAT IS AWESOME. YOU DID A GREAT JOB....I WILL HAVE TO MAKE A JOURNAL LIKE THAT...THANK YOU FOR SHARING THAT IDEA
CONGRATS ON JENNIFER GETTING MARRIED IN JUNE....YOU HAVE A LOT OF BUSY TIME AHEAD.
I THINK OF YOU AND AMBER EVERY DAY.
A GRACIE ANN PECK AND A HUG AROUND THE NECK
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Sandy said...

Such a cute idea..Jennifer will have this for later when looking over all the plans for her special day. It will become a treasue, especially if you add your thoughts. I saved the emails, picyures, scraps of papers, etc. sent between my daughter and myself, it is so funny NOW to re-read the panic and urgency in our voices.

A Joyful Chaos said...

How pretty compared to what it looked before your talented touch.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Donna, This was a very sweet project...love the way the book came out.
♥, Susan

Just Breathe said...

Wow, you are so creative. It is really cute.

Manuela@TPOH said...

Very cute!

Manuela

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Great job!! Big improvement!

xinex said...

You sure transformed a simple plain notebook to a very pretty and special wedding book....Christine

Blue Creek Home said...

How exciting!! I love weddings. And with this pretty notebook, I'm sure it will be a beautiful one.
Cute idea.
Rhonda

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a great idea -- and it will be a great memory book after the wedding festivities too.

Bernie said...

Oh this looks lovely....I love seeing all the beautiful things my blogging friends can make, I think it is because I am creatively challenged .......:-) Hugs

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

HI Donna!
This is precious! Thank you for stopping by Bloggeritaville! I love new friends!

Jan said...

Oh Donna! What a fantastic idea and it turned out sooooooo nice! I just love it and it will make a great keepsake afterwards :) LOL on your Silly Saturday post. That sweet kitty made me smile, the little nut!

Katie said...

One of my favorite crafts it to recover notebooks there are just a million reasons and ways to use a cute one! I love that you made it too coordinate with the wedding details you'll jot inside. Great job and thanks for your sweet comment on my blog too:)

Thelma said...

You're a very clever southern gal. I love it!

Gayle from Southern Thresholds said...

that's a great idea...you are so clever!