Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Noccalula Falls


Susan at
http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/ is hosting her weekly Outdoor Wednesday and I thought I would join in this week.  I took these pictures yesterday at Noccalula Falls in Gadsden.  The falls is a 100 foot natural wonder.  It is beautiful all year long and rarely looks like this!

We had a dusting of snow last week and combined with the freezing temperatures the mist coming from the
falls has frozen and is beautiful.  If you look closely you can see the chapel in the top of the picture.  

This is looking into the gorge below the falls.  In better weather you can walk under the falls and along the Black River.  The rocks are huge.

The falls is named for Noccalula (in the pic above) who was a young Cherokee maiden who plunged to her untimely death rather than forsake her true love. She is memorialized by a statue and the engraved story of her fate. The park also has a pioneer village, a group of rustic, hand-hewn log buildings representing a display of pioneer living conditions.  It is a great place to visit when it is warm and the flowers are blooming, but not on this cold day! BRRR!

Thanks for visiting me this week and please go visit the other participants in Outdoor Wednesday.

Blessings,
Donna

16 comments:

ellen b. said...

This shots are very cool Donna. I've never heard of these falls and it was interesting to read about it...

Bernie said...

Great photos Donna, and yes you must of been cold as it looks cold where you are. I would love to see these falls and the village during the summer months......:-) Hugs

Ebie said...

Its very sad about her fall. But the whole scenery is so beautiful!

Light and Voices said...

Very interesting cyber tour of the falls.
Joyce M

from our front porch... said...

Oh, my how beautiful! I would love to visit this (and you!!)

Stay warm...we southern girls are not used to so many days of frigid weather!!!

xo, misha

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty, but sure looks cold. :-) I bet it is pretty in the Spring and Summer months.

Joops said...

Beautiful place! I just became your follower.

Tunnels in Korea

Linda said...

Donna...thanks sooo much for the pics...I have never been to Gadsden (lived in this state for 51 years)...looks like I need to make a trip to visit here sooon...maybe in the Spring...it looks sooooo PURDY!!!!

HAPPY WEDNESDAY to you!

Blessings,
Linda

mbkatc230 said...

What beautiful shots. The falls really do look pretty with the ice. But I'm with you, I think I'd prefer to visit in the summer! Happy OW. Kathy

Pam said...

I love Noccalula Falls. Although I will admit I prefer to go in the summer time. : )
The pictures are beautiful, but I am glad to live in the south with not much snow!

Snowberry Creek said...

I've never heard of Noccalula Falls, but if I'm ever in Gadsden - I'm going to be sure to visit them. Beautiful pictures!

Jan said...

That is one gorgeous place Donna! Whow, absolutely beautiful! I think I could visit there at least once a week.

Manuela@TPOH said...

What a gorgeous place! Spectacular photos!

Manuela

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This is beautiful---and it really looks cold --you can almost feel it in the photos! Thanks for your sweet visit and I appreciate your prayers for a wonderful man.

Jeanette said...

Donna, thank you for stopping in and don't forget to come back for the give away! Isn't it wonderful we both have weddings (new beginnings) in our lives this year.

jennifer said...

We have camped at the park at Noccalula falls. It is such a neat place! The falls are really pouring now!