Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sweet Tea Quilt ... A Work in Progress

I have always had a love for teapots.  I honestly don't know how many I have : )
So when I saw this Sweet Tea quilt pattern and kit while vacationing in Tennessee I had to purchase it.


It is by The Quilt Company and I love it.  I have had this kit for at least 2 years and finally decided to start it this summer. Then my life changed forever : ( and I am trying to get back to my quilting to keep myself busy during these cold winter days we have had here in the South.  We are NOT accustomed to this kind of weather.  It did not get above freezing here today.  You northern gals are used to this cold weather, but this is why I live in the south.  I DO NOT like cold weather!  They are even predicting snow this week!  We rarely see snow. 


This is my favorite teapot block.  The buttons are just laid there for the pic... they are not sewn on yet.


No this may be may favorite!  It will have a button also for the lid.  I just realized this one is facing the other direction from the pattern.  Oh well!  I am not a perfectionist!


Paper piecing was used for the "body" of this one with an appliqued handle and spout.  I have the "tea bag" made and it looks real with the method they used.   Forgot to take a pic of it!

I used rick rack around my blocks, the quilt pattern was a little confusing about the borders and it did not measure correctly when I began sewing the blocks together so I took out the tiny inner border and added rick rack and the blocks fit perfectly together.  The rick rack was much easier and I like the texture of it.


This teapot must have hot tea in it ... it is steaming out the top with the lid off. 


There are four of these blocks.  Again I used rick rack for the border.
So hopefully I can press these really well now that I have them out again and begin making the teacups along with the ribbon border. 
But before I begin sewing I better go to the store and buy bread and milk.  If you live in the South you know what I mean : )   We get a little bit of snow and EVERYTHING closes.

Thanks for visiting.  I love reading your comments.
Blessings and Hugs,
Donna

10 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Donna sweetie...
This is just the most beautiful thing I have ever seend. I love it. What a wonderful idea, purchasing a kit. Now I might be able to handle a kit. It looks so precious with the beautiful little teapots. I love and collect tea pots also. When I moved from Oklahoma to Phoenix, Moma and I always had a saying between the two of us, "If we only had time for tea." Thus we started buying each other tea pots, tea cups and even tea ornaments at the Holiday. It has been such a joy for me and Moma too.

I will have to watch for a kit somewhat similar to yours. That would be fun and actually I think I could finish it.

Thanks for sharing, and your blocks are so beautiful. I love the addition of the rickrack. It just looks so country.

Country hugs sweetie...Sherry

Jeanette said...

Donna, I have a love of teapots also. That is just too cute. Can't wait to see it after you finish it.

Linda said...

Donna,
This teapot quilt is just the cutest thing ever...hope you have fun making it this winter. Can you believe how cold it is here in Alabama...way too COLD for me...I didn't leave the house yesterday and don't plan on going out today. Take care and I hope you have a great week!

Blessings,
Linda

Bernie said...

Oh these tea pots are adorable....a great project.
I have heard on the news how cold it is in the South, being from Northern Canada I am use to the cold but my brother and his wife winter in Florida and they are freezing this year. He said the beaches are empty but they still golf every day.....Have a wonderful day my friend, stay warm........:-) Hugs

Jan said...

Ohhhhh Donna! What beautiful blocks you are creating! That's gonna be one gorgeous quilt :) I'm so glad you pulled back out your sewing. It will definitely be good for your soul :)

Linda Q said...

This is really cute Donna. I understand the need for keeping busy and I hope that your quilting is good therapy for you! I know it was when I lost my brother in 2007, that endless sewing somehow soothed me. I am anxious to get back to some quilting here in the next week or two also. I have missed it!
Take care of you!

Manuela@TPOH said...

That is so cute! I just love the rick rack and the colors you used. Those teapots are just adorable!

Manuela

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This quilt is adorable! You may need to hurry up and finish it, so you can throw it around yourself for warmth! I'm hating this cold weather too -- at least the sun was out today and not quite so windy ---that helped....a little. I love that your quilt blocks are not exactly like the picture -- that and the rick rack give it your special touch. Happy quilting!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Those blocks are adorable. I mean they are the cutest things. I love it.

Thelma said...

I love this quilt, you're doing a great job. I like the rickrack, isn't it funny how some things work out, I think it adds so much. Perfect weather to stay in and finish this beauty.