Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tote Bag & Sewing ...

Thank you for all the sweet comments and emails on my last post.  I read each and every comment and it makes me feel better.  I think that the cemetery owner and I have come to an "understanding" as I will say :)
He has made other people mad as well and I have not been the only person to complain.

Oh well on to other things.  I have been doing some sewing and I can't post some of what I have made because some of the recipients  read my blog.  Jennifer knows I am making a wedding quilt for the bride and groom and I have "fussy cut" so many squares .... like 150 squares.  I will post a little of it when I have more of it completed. 
I just don't want Jennifer to see it!

The other day I was in my closet trying to organize a little and saw this bag I carried last summer.  So many people have stopped me and wanted to know where I bought it and I told them I made it.  I thought I would share it with you.


I had purchased the embroidery CD from Loralie and embroidered the lady with her flowers.  People say it looks like me. LOL  I do love to garden and look at that big hat... I do not have one like it but it would be fun to make one to wear like it to work in my yard!  But I sweat too much or as we say in the South we southern gals "glisten".  I am a GRITS... that's short for "Girls Raised in the South".


  I decided to make a tote bag and took my embroidered piece to my local quilt shop and they helped me pick out the fabric to coordinate with it.  It looks as if the fabric was made for the embroidery.  It was just fun to put together. I have carried this bag everywhere and it holds everything!  Every gal needs a large tote bag! 

Oh well I need to go and sew.  I have a ringbearer's pillow to make.  Jennifer saw one in a bride's magazine she liked and I am making one similar to it.  Very simple ... they only wanted $95 for it!  We purchased everything to make it for less than $10.  I am go glad I can sew!!

Thanks for visiting!
God Bless,
Donna

15 comments:

Jeanette said...

That is so sweet! Love it. I do not and have never even owned a needle and thread. LOL

debbie said...

DEAR DONNA,
I AM SO VERY GLAD YOU CAME TO AN UNDERSTANDING WITH MR. CEMETERY. IT IS BEYOND SOME PEOPLE'S UNDERSTANDING OF HOW IMPORTANT THE RESTING PLACE OF OUR LOVED ONES ARE....THAT IS SACRED, HOLY GROUND.
YOUR BAG IS GORGEOUS....I LOVE THE LADY IN THE HAT....SHE IS AWESOME, LIKE YOU. MY MOTHER HAS ALSO STARTED QUILTING...SHE SAID SHE MUST KEEP HER HANDS BUSY OR THE GRIEF OVER AMY WOULD CONSOME HER....I KNOW YOU AND ALL THE OTHER MOTHERS AND GRANDMOTHERS UNDERSTAND THAT. I USE TO LOVE TO CROSS STITCH UNTIL MY EYES DECREASED IN VISION BUT I QUOTE EVERY DAY....BLESSED ARE MY EYES FOR I SEE
XOXO
LOVE
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Gloria said...

Good for you for knowing to sew! (My mom as a great "sew-er" too!) Don't forget to show us the Ring-bearer's pillow you made! :)
Best regards
Gloria

Miriam said...

I love your tote bag, Donna.

Good luck with sewing the ring pillow. It is just as well you can sew!

Jan said...

Oh what a pretty bag Donna! I'm a big fan of "totes" and this one is gorgeous :) I'm also a "Grits" gal! I'm so glad you got things smoothed out at the Cemetery, as you certainly don't need that heart ache and aggravation right now. Tks so much for your comment on my Blog yesterday :) Yes, I knew Jennifer has Crohn's and I have included her in my prayers. Remicaide can work wonders on the disease, and I sure hope that it is helping her! Micki had it quite often and my Husband has had it as well for arthritis. You take care my dear and here's hoping that the wedding planning eases some of the sorrow in your heart. God Bless!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Glad you could get thing worked out.
Your tote is so cute! I use to sew - nothing real great, but have not in years.

Maggie said...

I'm a first-time visitor to your blog. My heartfelt condolences to you on the loss of your daughter. Six months is no time at all. I lost a daughter--aged 11 mos--over 25 years ago, and my experience was that it took several years to get to a place of peace. Sometimes the loss hurts most at the happy times.

Jen in NY said...

Hi Donna! Your tote bag is soooo cute. I agree, a big tote is a must-have. I've made a little one but now I'm thinking I should move up a size or two. The embroidered gal does look like you!!

Can't wait to see the pillow and Jennifer's quilt. My aunt made me a quilt for my wedding 12 years ago, and I treasure it. What a lovely gift you will give to your daughter and son-in-law!

Bernie said...

Donna, I love, love, love your tote bad...but then I have a passion for purses. What a gift you have to be able to sew as you do, I do well to sew buttons on straight, oh well I am happy being able to do whatever it is I do.
So glad you worked out things at the cemetery, your Amber's grave is lovely......:-) Hugs

Stacey said...

Donna I'm glad you are feeling a little better today.

Your tote bag is adorable. You know everybody needs a good bag. These days we all try not to use those icky bags at the store. Your bag must come in very handy.

Manuela@TPOH said...

Very cute tote! I've been thinking of making one to carry our library books in.

Manuela

Style Sisters said...

Donna, Thank you for coming by the blog and putting the info on your blog about the giveaway. I too love to sew and be creative. I lost my brother in November and it has helped so much to use my hands to create new things. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue to go through this grieving process.
Take Care and I hope you win the giveaway! :)
Karin

Linda said...

Donna,
Your bag is a cutie...great talent you have...can't wait to see the wedding quilt. I want to thank you for the Cracker Barrel info...I signed my mother up and she is one happy lady...she is going to have fun with this:) Hope you have a great day!

Blessings,
Linda

Thelma said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the wedding quilt!

I love your bag, especially the rickrack, I've got to put some rickrack on a project this year!

Wow, $95 for a ring bearer pillow, not only will yours be prettier, it will mean more made by you.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Donna, your tote bag is adorable! So bright and cheerful!

Keep up the wonderful work!

xo
b