Thursday, July 29, 2010

Needleturn Applique

I found this quilt block when I was going through my stack of quilt tops that need to be quilted.  I have always admired applique and taught myself to machine applique years ago.  I love to applique by machine because it is so much faster. 
In 2000 I took my first needleturn applique class and this was my first attempt at this method of applique. 
This is a very simple block but I adore it. I oftened wondered how the flower was made and quickly found it is called ruching.  It looks much more complicated than it was to make.  I love the texture of the layers.
I hope to make a pillow with this block. Maybe I will get to it next week.

My project I have in the works right now is Amelia's Rose Garden.  I will share it with you in another post.  I don't do much needlework in the summer.  When I have it back out I will take pics.
I hope you enjoyed my soon to be pillow.

Thanks for visiting!
Donna









8 comments:

Bernie said...

I don't know why some people are just naturally creative and others are all thumbs, you are blessed my dear friend...:-)Hugs

Jan said...

Oh Donna, what a gorgeous block; and I am amazed that it was your first attempt at needleturn!!! It's fabulous and a pillow is the perfect choice :) I'll also have to give you an OMGosh on your supper below!!! Being a Southern gal, I could have easily eaten the whole thing too (LOL). I thank you so much my dear for all your kind comments and your prayers ... you continue to warm my heart :) Hugs to you!!!!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Donna, your block is gorgeous!! I love needleturned applique, but like you, I prefer to applique on the sewing machine. This will be so pretty as a pillow. Can't wait to see it finished. And your new project sounds interesting too. I don't think I have commented, but I love your new background/header. It is so pretty!!! Love & blessings from NC!

Miriam said...

I love it!! Beautiful work, Donna!!
The ruched flower is perfect!
I love to do needleturn applique.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

That will make a pretty pillow cover.
Have a great weekend.

Mama Pea said...

Pretty good job, especially for a first attempt at needle-turn applique!

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Hi Donna, thank you for joining the Rooster Party and displaying the Button. I have some giveaways connected to the Rooster Party on my sidebar if you are interested.

I am so happy to have you with us. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Hugs, Barb ♥

Scrapping With Sherry said...

You obviously have alot of talent with a needle and thread. I am a papercrafter and can barely sew on my cards! You should have seen me attempting to use my mini sewing tool by provocraft the other night... very sad!

I came by today to introduce myself. My name is Sherry and I have joined the Bloggerette Sorority. I have only been blogging for almost 30 days so I missed the Rush, but I look forward to taking part in future events. I would be honored if you would like to come by for a visit at http://scrappingwithsherry1.blogspot.com/ Hope to see you there!

Take Care~ Sherry