Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sewing ... Watermelon Slices

I have been busy sewing several projects.  A friend brought me some dishtowels to monogram yesterday and I will begin on those soon.  I seem to have more projects going than I can count.  I am going to try to catch up with my quilt tops that I put on hold due to wedding things that needed to be sewn.  So now that the wedding is over I have no more excuses.  Ha! 
I came across these watermelon placemats I made last summer or the summer before ... I can't remember ... time flies!  I thought I would share them with you. 

Oops! I should have pressed them before I took the pic! Oh well ignore the wrinkles! 
They are from the book Company's Coming by Cabbage Rose.  There is also a watermelon quilt I would love to make too in the book.  They were easy to make and I used scraps leftover from other projects so there was no extra cost ... I call projects I make from scraps FREE!  The best kind :)

I have been making a new bag for summer. I will show it when I have it completed ... hopefully tomorrow. 
It looks like I will be staying in the house tomorrow until late in the evening when it cools off outside.  I have pulmonary fibrosis and it is very hard for me to breathe in the heat and humidity.
The weather has been so hot here in the South but not as hot as what people are living with in the Northeast.  Hopefully it cools down soon.

Well gotta go!
Thanks for visiting and God Bless!
Donna

12 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Donna, your placemats are adorable. How cute for the summer!!! I love to quilt and also do projects like this, but have not sewn in a long time either. Too much other stuff going on around the house right now. It has been so hot here too. Love & blessings from NC!

Bernie said...

I am finally back online and I missed all of you so much.
Love the watermelon placemats, they are so different. I know you will finish all your projects Donna.
Sorry your heat is affecting your breathing, please do stay in and be well. We are also having very hot weather and I am so enjoying it, our winters are so very long that I spend as much time outside as I can......:-) Hugs

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your placemats are pretty! I have not sewn in years. My daughter "borrowed" my machine, and have thought about buying a new one, but I don't think I would use it that much.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

How sweet and adorable! I'm looking forward to seeing your bag. I hope you have a lovely cool evening tonight.

Jen in NY said...

Donna, I really love your watermelon placemats. They're so summery! Can't wait to see your new bag. Stay healthy and inside...sounds like a good idea!

Rettabug said...

These are AWESOME looking placemats, Donna!!! Just darling! I hope your family is good about not spilling on them. They're almost too pretty to use.

I've been sewing more recently (too hot to be outside!) & just finished matching robes for DGD & her AG doll. Hoping to post photos as soon as I can get her over here to model.

Manuela@TPOH said...

Projects made from stuff you already have are the best! Those watermelon placemats are so cute and summery!

Manuela

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Donna ~

I have tagged you with a blog award for being a "Versatile Blogger", please come by my blog and see...

Thelma said...

I love those placemats..how did you get that perfect wavy white edge? I prefer your colors over the paler reds used in the pattern. I was thinking I would make the Fons and Porter watermelon quilt but I prefer this block! It appears the pattern is no longer available, the search is on!

I'm good with reds and whites but definitely need some green fabric for this pattern!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Jan said...

Oh Donna! Those placemats are absolutely adorable. Now I'm anxiously awaiting that tote!!!

Tks so much for your kinds words over on my Blog. Your prayers are greatly appreciated :)

I know the 1st Anniversary of Amber's entrance into Heaven is on the horizon, and I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you. All the "firsts" are soooooooo very hard and I pray that the 2nd year will be easier for you and your family. You take care!!!

Amanda said...

Yesterday was National Watermelon Day! So I put together a round up on Craft Gossip and included your post. Thanks for a fun craft! http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/20-watermelon-crafts/

Rochelle said...

Hi. I found your pic on Pinterest but have been unable to find the pattern. Could you tell me the dimensions of the slice I would like to try to make one.