Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thank You and Southern Cooking

Thank you for all the sweet comments you left me for Amber on my last post. 
I appreciate each and every one :)

I finally cooked a meal today!  I usually prepare something simple on these hot summer days.  There is nothing like good ole southern cooking!  Going into the veggie garden and picking fresh veggies and cooking them.  We had fried okra, fried green tomatoes, mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas, cornbread, barbecue ribs and red ripe tomatoes.  It was so good!  I normally don't cook this much but some days I just can't resist!  It is not everyday you can have fresh veggies ... so we enjoy it while we can.

This was my plate and I ate it all!  Yes I did!!

My aunt had given me fresh blueberries yesterday.  When I was looking at blogs this morning the
Pioneer Woman had this recipe posted ... so this was dessert.

Blueberry Crumb Cake ... it was so good!

I ate all of this too!  I think I gained 5 pounds today.
The Pioneer Woman sure knows how to cook.  I have tried many of her recipes and every one is delicious.

It has been very hot here in the South.  I have been in the house the past several days organizing my new pantry.  I will show you pics when I have it completed.

Thank you for visiting and God Bless!
Donna

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Yummy!!There is nothing better than that meal you fixed!! I need to try that blueberry one!I would eat a huge piece...but aren't blueberries good for you..lol

Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Glenda/MidSouth said...

My kind of food - looks and sounds so good! I saw that recipe on PW - Yum.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

My kind of eating, Donna! We had a meal tonight that was all fresh veggies. It was so good! I sure thought about you a lot this past weekend. I printed out that blueberry recipe from the Pioneer Woman. I love her recipes and if you don't have her cookbook, it is awesome!!! Won't you feel good getting your pantry organized? We are getting some relief from the heat today. Thank goodness. It was a scorcher over the weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

Bernie said...

Oh my no wonder you ate it all, it looks so delicious and that dessert...to die for.
So glad you are feeling up to posting my friend, I know how hard it has been for you.
Sending big hugs......:-) Hugs

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
Now that plate of SOUTHERN yummies looks sooooo good...can't get any better than this! Thanks for sharing the blueberry recipe.

Blessings,
Linda

Marilyn said...

I'm actually making supper tonight, so the cooking bug bit me, too. Wally loved to eat and even my mom misses fixing things for him. We once had a cat that purred while he ate and Wally could have done the same thing! And, he could eat it all and not gain the weight.

I am looking forward to seeing your hard work in the pantry. I'm hoping cooler days are coming. ♥♫

Thelma said...

Yum, what a feast, my husband would LOVE mealtime at your house! My cooking is pretty plain. I've yet to make a PW recipe, but my daughter has tried several. Every time I read a new one I think to myself, "I've got to give that try!" The trouble is I don't keep butter in my frig, I've yet to see a recipe of her's that didn't require butter! How does she stay so small, then again, looking at that plate of yours, I'm not sure how YOU stay so small!

Looking forward to seeing the new pantry, I'm all about organizing!

Cindy said...

Hi Donna, I jumped over to your blog via Prairie Flower Farm. My heart was broken when I read your letter to Linda, I can't imagine the loss you feel. The love we have for our children are so strong. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
I have been backreading some of your post as you can see,but when I saw your southern meal, I had to post. I'm a southern girl, born and bred in Kentucky but was taken away from it at a early age and would love to go back. Maybe someday. Anyhow, it brought back lots of memories of growing up in the south and my momma's cooking. It makes me long for a good ole meal like that around our family home table. Thank you for that sweet memory this morning. Good food, family, and the south = good times and good memories.

Hugs to you,
Cindy