Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sewing Room Turned Pantry or Dish Closet?

 I am not sure what to call this room now.  It is a small room... I think the dimensions are about 8 ft. x 14 ft. and it opens into our kitchen.  
It would be perfect for a laundry room however our laundry room is in our basement.
 It was once my sewing room before I began quilting several years ago.  It was perfect for just a sewing machine, a serger and an ironing board but I quickly out grew it for quilting. 
When we did an addition to our house about a year and a half ago for Amber I moved my sewing room into her bedroom.  She got a new bedroom and a bath and I got a new sewing room!

I took this picture from my kitchen.
The room is long and narrow.  The door you see in the center is a closet that still has shelves and shelves of fabric!
I wish I had taken "before" pictures!  The room was painted with a faux finish and had carpet.  We ripped up the carpet put tile down and repainted the room an apple green.
Lowe's had this shelving unit that I wanted to hold dishes (it holds 350 lbs. per shelf).  We purchased it and then I used furniture I had around the house and in the basement for additional storage.
This is the curtain I had in my sewing room so I coordinated the room around the colors.  There are double windows so I would have plenty of daylight for sewing.
I have had this clock for 33 years.  We bought it when we were married for our kitchen.  Our anniversary was last week so I know how old it is and it still works!
Small cookbooks in a basket ... many are my grandmothers ... very old ones!
A piece of furniture my husband painted that will hold my mother's china. I have just got to handwash it all!
I found these knobs at Hobby Lobby for the closet that match perfectly.
A bookshelf full of cookbooks.  I love to read cookbooks especially Gooseberry Patch ones!
I love dishes!  These are sitting on top of an old French Provincial lingerie chest I had as a little girl.  The chest now holds tableclothes and napkins for every season and then some!
Another view looking back towards the kitchen ... I always have plenty of serving pieces!
We also found this unit at Lowe's for cups, paper plates, paper towels, etc.  I love the big hooks on the sides for utensils for grilling I never knew what to do with before!  It is a tall shelving unit with shelves and one drawer.  I also store my Diet Cokes on the bottom shelf!
One drawer is used for napkins.

And this pie safe holds some more of my grandmother's cookbooks which I love!  I am gradually getting everything organized ... I can't believe that basket is empty!  It may be used for packaged mixes like taco seasonings and ranch dressing mixes.  Who knows!
I do know that everything is easier to find when I need a certain dish.  At a glance I can tell if it is in here or in my china cabinet or in a buffet I store dishes.
I hope you enjoyed the "tour" of my pantry/dish room?  Help!  What would you call it?

Thanks for visiting and God Bless!
Hugs,
Donna

11 comments:

erin said...

hi donna, well, i would just love a room like that. it reminds me of a butlers pantry. i love the open metal shelves so you can see where everything is. you could maybe add a tiny little stool or chair so you could sit and read your cookbooks. have a good week,
erin

Mama Pea said...

A good pantry is so great to have, so you can store all this stuff you use sometimes, but not enough to keep in the kitchen. And I like how pretty you've done up the room. What a bonus. I love Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, too!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I would love to have a room like that! Not for dishes, but all the other "stuff" that is not used everyday and seasonal items.
Have a great week.

Bernie said...

It is a perfect "warm storage" room, has so many beautiful and useful items, love it and I love the colors....:-) Hugs

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

That's a really room to hold all your dishes and cookbooks...love that shade of green and your curtain topper.

Blessings,
Linda

Jen in NY said...

Wow, I need a room like that. My dishes and serving ware are strewn all about my kitchen and such. I love the open shelving so you can see where everything is. The apple green paint is so pretty, I love it! And you know how I feel about Gooseberry Patch. :-) L, Jen

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

So wish I had a space like this one!!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Donna, I would love to have a room like that! I have dishes galore and I am running out of room for them. You and I are so much alike. I love to read cookbooks too! And I love dishes and glassware. I have 2 of those shelves for my dishes. Isn't that ironic? I love your room. I know you are enjoying it so much. Thanks for sharing it with us. Love & blessings from NC!

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

I love your little room. Everything is so organized and cute.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I love the color of your walls. I love the dishes just right there for you to be inspired by. What a great room! I know I'm getting inspired by your fun.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

ooops! Inspired by your fun dishes. Got distracted! :)