Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Heart of the Home - My Kitchen

Shelia at Note Songs is having a Heart of the Home Party!   Thank you Shelia for hosting this party.


We all know that the Heart of the Home is the kitchen.  I thought I would share mine with you.  We renovated our kitchen in 2004.  We completely gutted the kitchen ... had new cabinets made, granite countertops, new applicances and a new tile floor put down.
Here are the cabinets.  I wanted a double oven basically for the holidays for baking and I wanted my microwave built in.  The cabinets are maple with a white wash paint so the maple grain shows through and then a chocolate glaze.  We also bought a counter depth refrigerator that is completely built in with panels on the sides.   There are cabinets built over the fridge that hold things I rarely use.  Everyone comments about the big fridge.  It just looks big.

This is a cabinet on the right side of the ovens that have drawers that pull out so I can see what I have.  Looks like I need to organize it!

I did not want my cabinets to the ceiling.  I collect teapots and wanted to display them on top.  I love the rope detail on the crown mold.
My appliance garage in the corner that holds my hand mixer, pot holders, cutting board, etc.  It has a light built in so I can easily see what's inside.
The bottom corner has a lazy susan and I have a bank of drawers.
This the kitchen window.  The kitchen was built back where the appliances were originally.  I like the layout.
We had under counter lighting installed and I love it!  At the kitchen sink, the stove top and on the other side of the kitchen where I store dishes there are "bumpouts" with details on the side.
My kitchen valance I made for the window above the sink.
Above the dishwasher to the left of the sink.

Just "dustcatchers" as my husband would say!
This is one thing I had to have!  My KitchenAid mixer which I use at least once a week.  I always hated it on top of the counter top.  We found the spring loaded device that pops up from the cabinet.  This was the only place I had to put this and I would liked for it to have been bigger but I had to make do.  I am happy with it :)

Another view of the mixer ready for use.
This is the opposite side of the kitchen where I store dishes.  I wanted glass front doors on this side to display dishes along with teapots on top.
 Notice the bumpout in the center.  The cabinets were made to look like furniture at the baseboards.
Behind each door there are drawers that pull out so dishes are easy to find.  I have old kitchen towels layered in between platters!

I have all oil rubbed bronze hardware on the doors and drawers that match my light fixtures and faucet.

Here is a picture of my mini cloches for Autumn.
Another cupcake cloche with tiny pumpkins and gourds.

I hope you have enjoyed a tour of my kitchen.  We may add a tile backdrop eventually and an island.  We had a butcher block in the center of the old kitchen, but with Amber in the wheelchair it was often in the way. She loved to bake with me!  I miss her soo much.  Maybe one day I will decide to put in an island.  If I could just have her back here with us it would be so much better.
I posted here about my kitchen table and my dish closet here.

Thank you for visiting and God Bless!
Donna

26 comments:

La said...

Great kitchen Donna. I love the appliance garage. I get so sick of my aplliances on the counter. I need more storage! La

Liz said...

AWESOME cabinets! You have a beautiful kitchen. You must be so happy to spend time in there!! :)

~Liz

Cindy said...

Donna thank you for sharing your kitchen.They do represent us ..don't they!!

It looks like you put a lot of thought into that kitchen. I am sure it brings you warm memories of Amber also.

I can't show mine..mine is all packed up..we are going to sale..it would be too hard for me to show it.

Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Mama Pea said...

What a beautiful kitchen! We hope to redo ours in the next 5 years, so I appreciate the tour and inspiration. I love the color you put on the walls, and I love the furniture-style cabinets!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
Thanks for sharing your kitchen...it's BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE your cabinets...great color and style. You did an outstanding job putting it all together and I'm sure that you have lots of fun cooking in such a beautiful space.

Blessings,
Linda

erin said...

wowza! fantastic kitchen! my hubby could cook up some fantastic dinners for me there.

Atticmag said...

Wow, what great storage and features. My Mom had her KA on that same type of spring and it was great. Dropping by from HOH. Jane F.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Your kitchen is GORGEOUS. You have so many wonderful custom details. Love your decor too. Fabulous. Hugs, Marty

SmilingSally said...

Hi Donna,

I love your kitchen, especially your wonderful cabinets. What great storage ideas.

Please come and check out my book giveaways.

Marydon said...

G'morn Donna ~ I LOVE the appliance garage & keep thinking about one for myself. Now I think I will make this happen ... Your kitchen is just gorgeous & so warm. I love it!

Have a beautiful day ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

Your kitchen is breathtaking, Donna. I love it.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your very pretty kitchen!

Judi said...

Hi Donna
Beautiful kitchen. It makes it so lovely to do meals and just hang out in a lovely space like that! I'm loving the corner counter cabinets and the lights in them.
Very light and bright and you are lucky to have it!
Come on by and visit some time....I'm not participating in the kitchen this time around but would love your visit anyway.
Judi

Atelier de Charo said...

So beautiful kitchen, lot of space to keep all!

Hugs
Charo

Lori Lynn said...

LOVE the curtains!
♥´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ Lori Lynn ♥

Kim said...

What a beautiful kitchen Donna - so warm and inviting! I especially love the window treatments.
xoxo,
Kim

Shelia said...

Hi Donna! I've so enjoyed the tour of your pretty kitchen! How nice to have everything the way you want it! I love that appliance garage, your flooring and granite. I've just recently gotten granite countertops for the first time and I love them! The space above your cabinets is wonderful and your dressed them up so beautifully!
Thank you so much for coming to my party.
You are a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Thelma said...

Your kitchen is wonderful, but your decorating is what gives it so much personality, love it all.

Are you sewing today??

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Very nice! Everything looks elegant but homey.

Homemade Quilts by Granny said...

Great kitchen! Trish

Libby said...

That is one stunning kitchen!! Beautiful!

Jen in NY said...

Donna, your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the glaze on the maple, and the wall color goes so beautifully. I really really like how your cabinets look like furniture. I wish mine did not go all the way to the ceiling, I need more surfaces. I also love the big tiles on the diagonal for the flooring. You have such lovely taste, and all the homey touches are so YOU!!

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

Hi Donna,
Beautiful kitchen. Love all the pull out drawers. Great remodel!
Valerie

Sandy said...

Donna, You have a wonderful kitchen. Love the valance that you made and all your vignettes are just wonderful. You incorporated lots of great touches into the creation of your kitchen to make it your own. Congrats you did a beautful job.
Sandy

Cheryl said...

Man-oh-man what a beautiful kitchen! Mine is over 40 and looks every bit of it... *sigh* I could live in your kitchen its so fabulous! lol
~Cheryl

Kimmie said...

Can you please email me info about the thing you have your Kitchenaid on? I love it! Thank you!
Kimberly.cardon@gmail.com