Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pedestal Makeover

I am joining at Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for her weekly Met Monday post.   I wish I could just go sit and take a nap on her porch :)
I purchased this pedestal or candletick at Hobby Lobby at the end of last summer.  It was sitting on the shelf by itself and I immediately was drawn to it.  I was looking for the price and then I knew why it was still there .... it was chipped on the lower corner!  I loved it and knew it had potential so I asked the manager if he would mark it down even more and I snatched it up for $4!

Of course it came home with me and I went to work in my kitchen floor!
It's a little over two feet tall with alot of detail... it just needed a little work.
I knew I could find something around the house to fix it with and remembered I had some plaster of paris.  But first I had to have something to fill the holes with and then I remembered we had some drywall or sheetrock tape. 

I filled in the two chipped corners and let it dry overnight and added another coat. 
After a coat of off white spray paint ... here it is!  I may give it a brown wash later on ... who knows .. it's just paint!

This summer I used it in my dining room with a wooden birdfeeder filled with greenery on top.  I used it as a "pedestal" then.

When my daughter Jennifer was married this summer she had a candle lit for Amber with her initials on it.   Of course I cherish the candle so I have moved the "candleholder" to the family room and decorated it with some fall leaves and Amber's favorite flower ... sunflowers!

I love my thrifty purchase and who knows where it will end up come Christmas time! :)

Thanks for visiting and God Bless!
Donna

14 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I love your candleholder. It is beautiful, Donna. Amazing what a little work and paint can do, isn't it? It looks great decorated for fall with Amber's candle and the leaves/sunflowers. It will be so pretty for Christmas too. Hope you are doing well and enjoying this gorgeous fall weather. Glad your Braves won today. I know you were happy! Have a great week. Love & blessings from NC!

Bernie said...

My gosh Donna you are so talented, this is beautiful.....don't know where I was when God passed out creative genes but I can tell you were at the front of the line. I love this.
I smile every time I open your blog and see Amber, she is beautiful and I love her smile.
Have a great week.....:-)

Jen said...

What an awesome metamorphisis! That pedestal didn't stand a chance once you got your eye on it!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Wow Donna! Better - MUCH better - than before. Nice work!

Susan said...

I love the candle holder. You gave me idea of what to do with the one I have that I haven't refurbished yet!!

Rebecca said...

What a great idea for repairing that hole! You've really come up with some beautiful ways to decorate with it!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

What a beautiful candleholder! I love that you took it home and fixed it up. It looks great!

Pat said...

What a great find! The birdfeeder is my favorite! I bought a chipped fiberglass planter and used drywall spackling to repair the chip. We must think alike! Can't wait to see what you do for Christmas!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love those thrifty buys at HL. Yours turned out so pretty. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Have a great week.

Jane said...

Wow, what a great deal! It's so versatile, too. Love the fall look!

Jane

Thelma said...

You find the best stuff at Hobby Lobby! Great effort on the repair job! I don't have the patience for bargain shopping....or repairs......but you make it sound fun.....I should be more open to both.

Kim said...

What a perfect piece you've made this into. I know your candle has special memories, but the bird cage is super adorable. Nice job.

Kerrie said...

The pedestal came out awesome, jsut love it!

Jen in NY said...

Genius, Donna! Pure genius! I love the potential you saw in the pedestal. It really came out beautiful. I love Amber's candle on it.