Monday, October 18, 2010

Thrifty Finds

I am joining my friend Linda at Coastal Charm for her weekly Thrifty Tuesdays. 

I have only been to 2 estate sales in my life and they are fun.  You never know what you will find.  The last one I went to a couple of weekends ago was not far from my house and the lady I had known as a child.

I found this small soup tureen and I love soup tureens!
It was $3.  I have put it with my other pieces in my ironstone collection.  I always look for dishes, buttons and old doilies.

------------------------------------------------------

And this weekend my girlfriends and I were in Mentone at a harvest festival. One of my friends saw these shoes at a little place a church had set up to sell a few things.  She wanted to buy them.  However she is a size 5 and knew they would not fit her.  I however was the perfect size 8!  I saw immediately that they were Lilly sandals and the lady wanted 50 cents for them!  I dug 2 quarters out of my purse and away we went. 
I put them on my feet for a pic, however my feet need a pedicure so bad!
 I will enjoy these next summer.

Now I am going to see what others have found this week.

Thanks for visiting and God Bless!
Donna


10 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did good. About the only thing I have been looking for at estate sales these days is vintage jewelry. I do see other things I would like to have, but don't have the room.
Enjoy your week.

Jen in NY said...

Score! Love the shoes, what a bargain!! And the soup tureen is beautiful too, you always find the best stuff. I've never been to an estate sale, I've got to keep my eye out for them! P.S. Who can be expected to have a presentable pedicure in October??

Bernie said...

I love both items, you did very well. How are you doing, think of you often.......:-) Hugs

Mama Pea said...

Awesome finds!!! When I lived in Ohio, we somehow learned of all sorts of local auctions. We went to them regularly and picked up all sorts of neat things...sometimes pretty cheap and sometimes more expensive but great, nonetheless. I got a great antique washstand for $200 one day. The auctioneer told me I got the deal of the day. He thought it would go for $400. It had a marble top and everything. My husband found a Craftsman radial arm saw for $100 once. Can't buy them like that now...they no longer make them like this one...it could be converted to a router. I helped him lift the thing into the back of our pickup and all these guys stood there watching us. They all were impressed I could actually lift that thing up that high along with my husband. I was glad they were impressed but then wondered why none of them stepped up to help. We have found some other really awesome stuff, too. I love auctions, but I rarely seem them advertised anymore. I will have to look harder. :-)

Kim said...

What a great find on your items. I'd love to have a tureen--it's perfect for this time of year.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
Well you found two neat items...I LOVE anything "Lilly" and that is a super cute style! Also I'm lovin your pretty soup tureen...I have trying to get a collection of them...I think I have three at this time. Hope you have a FUN time at my party.

Blessings,
Linda

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Donna, you are a lucky gal finding those adorable Lilly shoes. I love anything Lilly and those are my color....turquoise! You will enjoy those next summer. And your soup tureen is great too. What a deal! Hope your week is going well. Love & blessings from NC!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Lucky dog! Thanks for sharing these; I'm thinking of going to the thrift store today to see what's up.

Pam said...

Great finds. I have been looking for soup tureens forever and they are just too expensive at the antique stores. Great price on that one.

Rettabug said...

I can't tell you how jealous I am of that gorgeous white soup tureen, Donna!! I've been wanting one f-o-r-e-v-e-r but hate the high prices. You really lucked out on this one & those shoes, too! Very stylish!