Friday, January 14, 2011

Sweet Tea - UFO Challenge

I joined Susan's UFO Challenge for 2011.  I need to finish some projects before I begin any new ones.  Last year at this time I put everything on hold for Jennifer's wedding.  This year I have no excuses!

This week I have been working on a quilt I began a couple of years ago.  I adore teapots and when I saw this quilt in a shop while on vacation I had to purchase the kit.  I am sure I had enough fabrics in my stash to make the quilt but it was already packaged and ready to cut and sew.   
The pattern is by the Quilt Company.

I had to search for the blocks ... I thought they were in a clear plastic container. The pieces of the border were in the plastic container but I couldn't find the blocks. After searching for about an hour I found the blocks already sewn together. It was with all my other quilt tops that need to be quilted.

The teapot blocks all sewn together.  
There is paper piecing and applique in the blocks.  
 I need to press it really well.  It has been put away for about a year.
All I need to finish the top is to make the teacup border and sew it on.

  The only thing is each one of these little blocks has 14 pieces.   It was very time consuming just getting the pieces cut.  I have to be extra careful ... I don't want to cut anything wrong.  
I have been sewing away on my teacups.  The blue fabric is the teacup.  The red pieces are a ribbon border.   I will go back and applique the teacup handles after I have each one pieced.
I am making progress :)

I know now why I live in the South ...  I am tired of the snow!  We still have snow in our yard.  There are several inches sill lingering.  The sun finally popped out today but it has been very cold for us.  I hope we get above freezing tomorrow and get back to more normal temps for us.
Schools have been closed all week here where I live.  There is so much ice and snow still on the roads.  We do not have the equipment to deal with such things!  If we had the equipment if would be rarely used.  We just don't have snow like this very often.
Snow .... go away!!

Thanks for visiting and God Bless!
Donna


20 comments:

ABamaMom said...

That quilt is just too cute! Can't wait to see it finished. And girl...I know what you mean about the snow! I'm so sick of it. I'm actually looking forward to the rain this weekend, hoping that will get rid of all this ice, snow and cold, cold temps!

Linda said...

That teapot quilt is just darling! Looks like you are making great progress! You'll be done before you know it.

Carol at Serendipity said...

The quilt looks adorable. I can't wait to see the finished product. have a great weekend.

Carol

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

Donna, I have the Linky up if you'd like to Link for your progress report.

Ann Marie said...

Lovin the Teapots and cups, can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Cute quilt!
Know what you mean about the snow. Roads are clear here, but a lot of patches of snow still hanging around. I have cabin fever, as it has been just to cold to get out.
Enjoy your weekend.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh, that quilt is lovely. I can't to see what it's like once it's finished!!! I know you don't like snow, but your comment just made me laugh!!! I love snow...I just don't like icy roads. The only problem is we haven't seen any snow here in town...not on the ground, anyway!!! Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Oh Wow my quilting buddies and I are making the same pattern. We are going to do it as a BOM. Woo-hoo Can't wait!

Mama Pea said...

Hey, you are making good progress! At least all the blocks were made and put together! :-) I'm sick of snow, too, but I am stuck with it until at least through March...

Julie in WA said...

I can't wait to see the quilt fully assembled. It looks like a wonderful pattern, and the colors are just right! Go Little Green Quilter!

John'aLee said...

Oh Donna I can't wait to see your quilt when it is done. We had that quilt hanging in our shoppe too and designed several kits in all different colors for our customers. One especially stood out...it was all done in blue and yellow.
Good luck with it. I know it is time consuming but one thing about The Quilt Company...their directions are easy to follow and they are CORRECT!

Jen said...

That is darling! I can't wait to see it finished!

Deb said...

If I saw that pattern/kit in a shop, I know I'd be sure to buy it, too--it looks beautiful already! I have a friend who is a real "teacup" person. I'd make it for her, and then my daughter who loves tea, too, would wonder why she didn't get the quilt! (I'd end up making two!) :) I popped over from Blackberry Creek; glad you're doing the UFO.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh your quilt is going to be beautiful! We're supposed to get more snow on Friday, Saturday and Sunday -- I sure hope the forecast changes!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Oh your quilt is so adorable. Can't wait to see it all completed. Sure hope you warm up soon! I wouldn't know what to do with the snow either so I hope it melts quickly.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

This is a darling quilt!!

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

I'm crazy about the teapot blocks.

Jan said...

Hi Donna. I finally came over for a visit and it was quite enjoyable getting caught up w/you my dear. I am soooooooooo excited about your new beautiful "Honey!" She is just gorgeous and I too believe she was sent to you by your dear sweet Amber :) Such a blessing!!! Your home is beautiful and looks lovely all decorated for the Holidays. Thank you so very, very much for all the love and prayers you have sent my way and please forgive me for taking so long to send you some back and to answer your question about my address:

Jan Mynatt
13521 SW 9th Court
Davie, FL 33325

I'll be back to visit asap. Many hugs and much love to you sweetie :)

My Vintage Studio said...

Hi Donna.
Thank you for visiting my blog this evening.
I am so tired of winter...we have 58 days left until Spring.
Looking forward to seeing your quilt.
Have a great weekend!
Hugs, Sharon

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh, that quilt is going to be so cute! I just love your blocks! I have that pattern - you're inspiring me to get it out!! Hoping that the warm air and sunshine heads your way soon!