Monday, February 7, 2011

Ball Jars, Buttons and Spools

Thank you all for the birthday wishes on my last post.  I had a great day.
Birthday's sure do come around fast when you are getting older :)

Have you ever bought something, put it up or left it in a bag and forgot you bought it?  Well I did ... and it's not the first time :)
Last summer we had gone to my sister's lakehouse and on the way there is an antique mall ... full of stuff!  She and I later went there to look and I found these Ball jars for $2 and $3.  I know the antique stores around here ask at least $10 a piece. 
I love the green glass (you can't really tell in the pic).  I filled one up with some of my grandmother's old wooden spools. I put old buttons I had from an estate sale in the other jar.  I have so many buttons that are still on the cards they came on.  I don't know whether to take them off or leave them on the cards.
I put the jars on a table in my sewing room until I rearrange my sewing goods.   I tied some red gingham around the lids to give them some color.  I like color in my sewing room ... makes me happy!

Can you believe we are expecting snow again this week!  The forecast is for snow on Wednesday night into Thursday ... ugh!
I really don't know how you gals in the north stand it!

Oh well gotta go sew and find something on television to watch.

Thanks for visiting!
Donna

I am linking up to Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays.

15 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Donna, those Ball glass jars with the thread spools and buttons are so CUTE!!! I have a few jars like that, that are sitting empty. I need to fill them!!! ) :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather ;)

MamaMonki said...

I love old buttons and Ball jars. You got quite a steal on those two!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I have some jars like yours that were my Grandmother's. Loved how you are displaying your buttons and spools in them. So cute with the gingham ribbon. Glad you had a nice birthday. Thank goodness, it looks like we are going to dodge this snowstorm too. Thank goodness! Enjoy the rest of your week. have fun sewing! Love & blessings from NC!

Bernie said...

What a great idea, I think I will put all my button in a jar like you have....I have button every where, not organized at all.....:-)Hugs

Linda said...

Love the Ball jars! What wonderful finds! Cute and great storage!!

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

Love jars of buttons and notions ~ they look great. Stopping in from coastal charm

Honey at 2805 said...

You made your jars looks so cute while being useful.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Cute idea! I had some of those old jars, but think I have passed them all on to daughter.
More snow on the way here also. :(
Stay warm.

Mama Pea said...

That IS a great price on those jars! I like what you've done with them, too. I've started taking the buttons off cards and dumping them in jars. I find I'm more likely to use them for some reason! haha! Stay warm. It's sunny but COLD here today. I'm grateful for the sun, though!

Kelly said...

Too cute! I just love ball jars. (From one Southern gal to another!) I love your blog! I found you through Coastal Charm. I'm your newest follower!

Come visit!

Kelly

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Your jars look so cute! I love the red gingham.

We're supposed to get snow again here Thursday. Too much cold weather here in the south.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
I can't begin telling you how many times that I have done this...glad you found these awesome jars...you sure did get a great deal on them and thanks for sharing them at my party.

Blessings,
Linda

Jen in NY said...

Beautiful jars...what a find! Twice! LOL I love the wooden spools. Buttons too, I've always had a thing for them. They look so pretty, Donna!

Pam said...

I have a bunch of naked Ball jars. I need to put some stuff in them to show them off. Yours look great!

donna said...

I love your jars. Buttons go so perfectly in them. I had buttons on cards and I took them off to fill my jars.