Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake

This month in Southern Living magazine they have a section on pound cakes and they all look yummy.  I wanted something sweet and decided to make the Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake.
I baked it this morning and it is yummy in my tummy :)
I didn't turn my cake back over because I snitched a little piece off the top ... I am not telling my husband :)  I love the crunchy crust on top of a pound cake!  Oh when it is warm ... oh my goodness!

Here is my piece with the strawberry swirl.
It is a yummy recipe if you like pound cake and a touch of strawberries.

Here is the recipe out of Southern Living ...

Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake


1 1/2 cups butter, softened

3 cups sugar

1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened

6 large eggs

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon almond extract

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup strawberry glaze

1 (6-inch) wooden skewer

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese, beating until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

2. Gradually add flour to butter mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bowl as needed. Stir in almond and vanilla extracts. Pour one-third of batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (14-cup) tube pan (about 2 2/3 cups batter). Dollop 8 rounded teaspoonfuls strawberry glaze over batter, and swirl with wooden skewer. Repeat procedure once, and top with remaining third of batter.

3. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).

(I used Marzetti Glaze for Strawberries)


If you make it I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for visiting!
Donna

12 comments:

Tracey said...

It does look yummy!! Enjoy :)
Tracey

Mama Pea said...

Wow! You sure did back something today! That looks really, really good!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Oh My! That looks and sounds so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Linda said...

Oh that looks so good! Yummy goodness! I'm going to buy the stuff I need to make it this weekend! Thanks so much for posting it! :-)

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Yum! Strawberries just scream spring to me. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh, that cake does look delicious ;) :) :) Do you like to put any kind of a topping on to p of the cake? I like real whipped cream or just a little bit of real cream, too :) :) Oh, this looks really yu mmy!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

Wow, that looks good. I might have to try this.
I usually go to the thrift store on Parkway Drive in Roebuck. It's called Big Saver, I think. It's just passed the intersection (traffic light) after you come off the interstate onto Parkway Drive, on the left about two lights up on Parkway.
There are two shops in Leeds: one is on the left coming into Leeds on Old Hwy 78, about a mile I guess from the interstate, maybe a mile and a half. In an old strip shopping center. I think it's just called Thrift Store. It's really clean and the displays are neat. I find some good things there. That's where I got the plates and the blue pitcher.
There's another one on the other side of Leeds across from the post office. Continue on 78 passed the elementary school to the next traffic light, turn left at library. Go over RR track. Joseph's Storehouse in on the right on the corner.
Have fun thrifting.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Oh my, this sounds like the dessert for my Easter table! Thank you so much! I haven't found a recipe in a Southern Living magazine that wasn't top notch and tasty.

Hope you are doing well, friend.

retrorevival.biz said...

Good morning, Donna. I'm so glad I found you (from you finding MY blog)! Ooooh, this cake looks delicious and I think I'm gonna give it a try. Hope you have a great day:)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Okay Doona...this looks sooooo yummy and I'm on a diet:( Think I'm going to pass it on to my mom. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Linda

Betty Lou said...

This looks so yummy, think I will make it for my next Bee meeting. Pound cake and strawberries, it doesn't get better than that.

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

I made the key lime recipe last week for a prayer group. I want to make the amaretto/almond one.