Sunday, April 17, 2011

Burlap Easter Egg

I have seen these painted burlap Easter eggs
around area gift shops for at least $40. 

I thought to myself when I saw the price tag .... I will make my own. I had everything I needed to make one ... the burlap, paint and brushes. If I had to go buy everything it would have just cost a few dollars.  It's just the time involved that raises the cost.
I am not sure how the eggs in gift shops are made but here is how I made mine.
First I made a pattern out of newspaper in an egg shape.  I cut out two burlap pieces so that when it is painted the egg stiffens and holds its shape.  The burlap does soak up the paint!  I basecoated the entire egg and let it dry overnight.  I hung it from a clothes hanger to dry quicker.  The next day I freehanded the design and painted the other colors.  I love polka dots so I used my old stenciling brush for the dots.  After the paint was completely dry I took a black Sharpie and outlined everything.  I was afraid the edges would fray so I took Elmer's glue and mixed it with a little water.  I went all around the edges to seal the burlap.
It was a fun project. 
I only made one but you could make a couple at a time ... the one I made is hanging in Jennifer's house :)

I am joining Susan for Met Monday and Linda at Coastal Charm for NTT.

Thank you for visiting!
Donna

19 comments:

Betty Lou said...

You are so creative Donna, you amaze me with talent, you see something and just go home and make it.

Bernie said...

This is lovely Donna, you make everything sound so easy.....big hugs:-)

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

How cute is that! I've not seen anything like it and I love yours. As far as I'm concerned, you invented this! :)

Linda said...

Yup, you did it again! Love it! You are so creative and crafty!!

Patsy said...

So cute!

Thelma said...

I love your egg, or I guess I should say Jennifer's egg! Great Job Donna! You are such a natural craftswoman!

Rosie Goins said...

Really like your egg. Cute.

donna said...

Your egg turned out so cute. What a great idea. Love the way you painted it.
Hugs
donna

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
You go girl!!! This egg looks outstanding...I have seen these in some gift shops too and thought the same as you about the price. I just might try it too...maybe next Fall after the wedding:)

Blessings,
Linda

Marilyn said...

You are so good at making something and getting it done. I wish I would do that--I seem to collect UFO's so easily. Cute idea. ♥♫

Shelia said...

Hi Donna! Oh, what a wonderful job you did and it's so cute! Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sugah Beez said...

What an awesome and cute idea! I love the colors and designs you used. Have a great day ~ fellow bloggerette sister, Heidi

Jen in NY said...

Donna you are so crafty! I love how you figure out how to make things on your own. The Easter Egg is absolutely adorable!!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Another great project! Donna, I'm glad you blog so I can be inspired.

Have a blessed Easter celebration, friend.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

So very Easterie, Donna!

Wonderful job!!!!!!!

Happy Easter, dear friend!

Thinking about you...

xxoo
Becky

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Adorable.. very creative cute way to display for Easter.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Donna Sweetie...
Happy Easter and what a beautiful idea. I have not seen these, but I love your egg, and I am adding it to my journal of items to make for the next year. What fun is this?

Maybe I can come up with an idea for making another banner with the burlap. It is so cute. You did a beautiful job. Thank you for sharing sweet friend.

Have a glorious Easter. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

John'aLee said...

Darling! I love your new background too!

Mama Pea said...

Cute. It's amazing how you copy something you see in the shops. You do such a great job!