Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Biltmore in the Spring


We visited the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC last week for a couple of days.  We had toured the house before so we did not take the tour again.  We went to the Festival of Flowers.  The tulips had bloomed but there were flowers galore.  The rhododendrons were blooming and they were purple.  I took so many pics but only chose a few to share.

Iris blooming in all colors.


I think they have every rose imaginable and so fragrant!

We were taking a walk and came across this waterfall spilling over the spillway.  It was so high my hands were sweating crossing it!  I don't like heights!

In the Conservatory this old suitcase ws filled with greenery and flowers.  I am on a search for an old suitcase!
Small sunflowers ...
Birdcage overflowing with ivy.
Hydrangeas in every color.  I really liked this purple one ...
On the pedestal the cosmetic case is filled with greenery.  Loved this also!  Creative ways to use old luggage.
The Biltmore Inn is perched on a hill overlooking the mountains and countryside.  A wonderful place to stay and everyone is so friendly.
Leaving the Biltmore Estate on Saturday morning.  It is a wonderful place to visit.  I can't imagine living in such an enormous house with grounds that extend for miles.

Oh well ... I came home to my house and although it is not a mansion with flowers galore it is filled with so many memories and lots of love!

Thanks for visiting!
Donna

17 comments:

Betty Lou said...

Sounds like a fabulous week-end trip, beautiful house and gardens. Hugs

Betty Lou said...

Sounds like a fabulous week-end trip, beautiful house and gardens. Hugs

Betty Lou said...

Sounds like a fabulous week-end trip, beautiful house and gardens. Hugs

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I bet it is beautiful there this time of the year with all the flowers. I also can't imagine dealing with a place that size.

Marilyn said...

This is on my short list of places to visit someday. Now I know that May would be a nice time to see the pretty flowers. I have several old suitcases in the basement that we found while thrifting, so I might borrow that idea with the flowers! ♥♫

Atelier de Charo said...

A very pretty place!!!

Mama Pea said...

I have always thought it would be fun to see that. But, I'm with you. I'd rather have my own cozy house! LOL.

Jen in NY said...

Oh so pretty! My sister (the one in Charlotte) has been there and says it's beautiful as well. I'm glad you had a nice getaway! Love hydrangeas.

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Oh I just love going there. Oh I would love to live in such a wonderful place.. it makes me think of times had in the home. I want to go again in the fall since they have opened up more rooms.. did you see the kids bedrooms yet?

Linda said...

Yes, on my list of places to visit some day! Maybe when the girls are a little older, we'll be able to get them out of Gatlinburg!! Lol! We have our annual trip booked for August, so maybe. Your pics are stunning!!

Lisa said...

Hi Donna!
We LOVE the Biltmore but have never been able to get to the Festival of Flowers. What a nice getaway for ya'll! We always enjoy our stay in the Biltmore Inn too with the lovely rooms, friendly staff and great meals! You'd think only living @1 hour away we could get up there more often?!
I am so glad ya'll were able to enjoy your trip so much. Thank you for the lovely photos.
Lisa

Susan said...

What a beautiful blog!
I'll be following it!

donna said...

Donna looks like you had a wonderful trip. I so love all of the gardens.
Hugs
donna

Miriam said...

Beautiful photographs, Donna! The views from the rooms must be amazing!

John'aLee said...

Stupendous! That's on my new 'travel want' list!

from my front porch... said...

I have been to the Biltmore many times but never to the Festival of Flowers! Thank you for the tour, Donna :)
Now I need to go in person!!!
Wonderful day to you my sweet friend!
xo, misha

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I hate to admit it,but I live in NC and have never been inside the Biltmore House. I love to go to Asheville and also Biltmore Village, but have just not toured the house. My girls and I said recently that we would love to go at Christmas and take the tour. Your pictures of the grounds and flowers are so beautiful. I know you had a wonderful trip!!! Love & blessings from NC!