Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tornado Devastation ...

The devastation from the tornadoes last week is just heartbreaking.  I have seen some of the destruction myself and it is so sad.  I always have my camera in my purse but I could not bring myself to take pictures of such horrible scenes.  I have never seen anything like it in my life.  In the past I've seen where tornadoes had hit homes but nothing like the damage the monster tornadoes did last week. 

I've found receipts, newspapers, magazine covers with addresses in our yard from Tuscaloosa an hour and a half away.  Pieces of window blinds, insulation and roof material in our yard.

Just miles from my house lives are forever changed.  People lost or still missing.  Near my cousin's home a little 6 year old boy was found passed away in a tree.  He lived 30 miles away.  Friends are fortunate to be alive with trees down all around their house with minor damage to their home.  They were in the bathtub as the tornado passed through.

Near the river there is even more devastation.  Nothing left ... people missing.  A family of five has yet to be found.  Story after story ... such sadness.

Seeing people at our local Walmart buying necessities to get by for a few days at a time makes what  I needed to purchase so insignificant. 

Again story after story.  People picking up the pieces and looking for just a picture of the past ...

Please keep the people of Alabama and surrounding states in your thoughts and prayers.

I hope to have more upbeat posts this week!

Thanks for visiting!
Donna

14 comments:

La said...

It is horrifying to know that winds can create such devastation and there is no way to stop it. So sad.

Cindy said...

Good Morning Donna. I have been trying to rattle some support on my facebook for several families that I blog with Who lost their homes and one lost her husband.I think people are
numb..due to the economy..japan...and they don't know them.It is so hard for me to be so far away from these sweet families.I would love to be helping.So with that said..I pray.
God's hands reach everywhere..and I know my little prayers are heard.If I lived closer my doors would open for a family to hang out or stay.We did this for RVer's during Katrina.I invited several families from the shelter with children to come over and play in a yard.They were only here a few days in town...but it meant alot to theses families to feel normal for a short time.
I will be lifting you up in prayer also.Hugs
and squeezes..Cindy.

Linda said...

It is just awful. Heartbreaking. Yes our thought and prayers are there.

from my front porch... said...

Donna, I posted about this yesterday.
We also have found lots of pics and even a check! J posted the pic of the young woman on a Face book page for people looking for belongings. Someone messaged him and said they KNOW the woman . The pic and the person who messaged are from Mississippi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This landed on our property here in Tn! WOW!

I am selfish in my thoughts that you were spared, friend. I do continue to pray for all those involved.
love ya,
misha

from my front porch... said...

oops! The pick of the young man is from Ms.
The pic of the girl is from Alabama!!

Mama Pea said...

You gave me goosebumps, and I just want to cry. It is heartbreaking. Amazing stories you shared. I am thinking of everyone down there.

Betty Lou said...

It is just hard to imagine the devastation and the heartache of losing everything. Everyone is in our prayers.

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

So so sad. I finally had to turn the tv off and stop watching. The sadness is overwhelming. Glad you and your family are all right.

ABamaMom said...

I feel like Susan...I'm just so overwhelmed by everything...I, too had to turn off the TV, stop crying, count my blessings and try to do something more productive. It's going to take a lot of time and prayers before our state will heal. Love ya!

Susan said...

Donna, It is so overwhelming, how sad for those poor folks, Tornadoes are destroyers and you never know where they are going to hit!!
I have not seen so much devastation due to weather as I have this year!! Floods, earthquakes and tornadoes. Makes me wonder what hurricane season will be like this year!

Marilyn said...

My, such devastation for the people. May you all be wrapped in the peace and love of God's arms. ♥♫

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
My heart breaks for all the families that have lost loved ones...the story about this six year boy has made me cry...this is just all so sad. Three of my moms childhood friends died over in Mississippi on Wednesday...two sisters and one sister-in-law. We are all so lucky that we were spared.

Blessings,
Linda

Jen in NY said...

Oh wow Donna, I can't get that image of the little boy in the tree out of my head. :-( So much tragedy, it is hard to take it all in. Such unbelievable destruction.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

All the pictures on the news have been hard to watch. Such horrible devastation! I just can't imagine losing everything! Praying for all these people! Sorry I have not commented sooner as I have been behind my blog reading, but I have had you all in my thoughts and prayers. Love & blessings from NC!