Friday, June 3, 2011

Hummingbirds and Lilies

It has been so hot and humid here for May and the first few days of June.  I don't even want to think about the temps in July and August :( 
My aunt has hummingbirds that nest every year on top of a windchime on her front porch.  I am so jealous!  I love hummingbirds!  This little nest is about 1-1/2 inches in diameter ... just tiny.  I watched the eggs until they hatched and as they have grown.  Now they are about ready to fly!  Just look at those babies ... precious!!  I will be sad to see the nest empty.

-----------------------------------------------------

I took some pictures last evening of some lilies I just planted this Spring.  They are gorgeous! 
This morning I have yellow and orange ones blooming too.  I may pick me a bouquet this weekend and enjoy them in the house.  I love fresh flowers from the garden.  There is just something about growing them myself.

Gorgeous shade of pink ...
A deep crimson color ...

And a beautiful off white color.

I will have to keep them watered in this heat!

I have a busy weekend ahead ... a girlfriend of mine that I have known since 4th grade is getting married this evening.  Her first husband passed away from cancer several years ago.  I am happy that she has found someone to make her happy again.  I always love a wedding.

I am going tomorrow to a quilt show in Birmingham.  Going to quilt shows always makes me want to come home and sew away! 

Have a good weekend!

God Bless!
Donna

14 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Donna,
Oh that hummingbird nest is darling :) :) Great job on a getting a photo of that. Oh, and all those gorgeous lilies. They're beautiful, aren't they? Awesome on getting the photos of those, too :) :) I love taking photos of flowers.
Congrats to your friend on getting married again :) :) Have a lovely weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Linda said...

Hummingbird nest is soooo darling. We have a couple of robins' nests in our trees that we've enjoyed this year. Love the lilies! Have fun at the wedding!!

donna said...

I love the hummingbird nest. It is fun to watch the hatch and grow up. Love your lillies
hope you have fun at the wedding.
Hugs
donna

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures of the birds and your beautiful lilies. Sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead.

Lisa said...

What a treasure to watch the little hummingbirds from eggs to fledglings! And your flowers are simply gorgeous. I also wanted to comment on your post with the photo of you with your daughter Jennifer and say that you two really do look alike and how special that the butterfly visiting with you both would be so meaningful. Have fun this weekend!

Bernie said...

What a lovely post, so glad that you are enjoying your flowers, humming birds and life. The wedding will be lovely for your school friend and I know how much you enjoy quilts and quilting.....:-)Hugs

Betty Lou said...

Hummingbirds are so cute, never knew that they nest in the same place every year. Enjoy your weekend, I'm happy for your friend.

The Rosegarden in Malevik said...

Hello Donna
Lovely Lilies :)
and do not miss

S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y

S
H
O
W

O
F
F

WELCOME :)
Håkan ( The Roseman)

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I hope you'll bring home some pictures from the quilt show. In the meantime, your flowers are so beautiful.

Jen in NY said...

A hummingbird nest on a windchime, wow! And every year? I love it. DH and I were sitting on our front porch today, watching hummingbirds come to our feeder. They are so cute and little. What a treat to see the babies grow!

Have fun at the quilt show! Your lilies are gorgeous, I love the colors! Stay cool Donna! xo Jen

Red Geranium Cottage said...

We had a hummingbirds next hanging on a macrame hanger before we moved from Ca. I had never had one before, and we had no idea what it was. It was fun watching them.

Michelle said...

That hummingbird nest is so sweet! We just put up a feeder and started seeing a few in our yard.

Mama Pea said...

Great hummingbirds! How cool! And your lilies are spectacular. I am a black thumb and my yard is always just weeds. I wish I could afford a gardener, because I sure like nice gardens!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

That hummingbird nest is so precious! I have never seen one in person. And your lilies are so beautiful. Hope you picked some for a bouquet!! And how exciting that your friend is getting re-married. I always love a wedding too. They are so fun! I'm like you... going to quilt shows really gets me inspired! Love & blessings from NC!