Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sewing Basket Turned Planter

When the neighbors had an estate sale last summer so many items were not purchased.  The lady who passed away had always sewn.  She had a room full of sewing supplies and a couple of baskets packed with sewing items.  This was one of them, nothing fancy, just a plain basket.

The lady's family knew I sewed and asked me if I wanted any of the items before they threw them away or gave them to a thrift store.  I brought this basket and a larger one filled with all kinds of sewing goodies home with me.  Made me happy :)

When I purchased the Flea Market Garden magazine (I posted about here) it had a basket filled with plants and flowers.  I remembered my free baskets from last summer.  I brought this one out of the basement last week and went to work.
My husband helped me line the basket to hold the soil.  This is what my free basket looks like.
I filled it with an assortment of plants I had purchased and had not yet planted. 
Small zinnias, creeping Jenny, Mexican heather, a small fern and other flowering plants.  I spaced the plants with room to grow and filled in with moss.

I love my basket now!
I like to garden and this can easily be moved from the backyard to the front porch or anywhere I want to place it!
I love taking old things and reusing them.  I still have a larger basket that I will eventually fill with flowers.

I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch and Linda at Coastal Charm for their weekly parties.

Thanks for visiting and God Bless!

Donna



23 comments:

Barbara Jean said...

Great idea for those old baskets. turned out so sweet!

blessings
barbara jean

Judy said...

That is adorable! I have a small wicker basket that I now know what I am going to put it in!

Cindy said...

Donna I see those all the time at our Goodwill..I will be grabbing some for sure.Mine is made into a sewing basket for the House on Wheels..lol
Have a sweet week. Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Linda said...

I love your basket too!!! That is such a wonderful idea. It looks like it should be in a magazine!!

Betty Lou said...

i had a basket just like that and I got rid of it before the move to Texas. Darn---I could have used it to hold flowers. You are so clever!

Patti said...

Just lovely and sweet - great idea!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

How pretty! Great idea!

Marilyn said...

Cute-and nice to have two! You are so creative. ♥♫

Jen in NY said...

Oh that is gorgeous Donna! I really love it. So pretty and whimsical. You are so talented! :-)

donna said...

Donna you have the best ideas. I just love what you have done with your basket. The flowers are just beautiful.
Hugs
donna

Mimi said...

I can't believe I still have my basket like this!
When I saw your post at Coastal Charm I had to find mine. You turned yours into such a lovely planter with beautiful flowers I'm hoping one of my daughters will fill this with their crafts but....if not I will so put beautiful flowers - maybe herbs?-in my basket Oh thank you so much for sharing!

All That Glitters said...

Very pretty!

Susan said...

Donna, I will have to look for a basket to do that with! Yours is so pretty!

A Few Pennies said...

Your basket is so pretty!

Helen's Decor said...

Donna, your sewing basket filled with flowers looks like it should be on a magazine cover. Absolutely beautiful. I'm a new follower. Please visit my blog soon. Thanks for the terrific idea for using old inherited baskets. Helen

the cape on the corner said...

that is a great idea! i have a basket that i got at a flea market leftover sale (so it was free) and i never knew what to do with it! thanks for the inspiration!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love your basket planter, Donna. It's very pretty. I have several wicket picnic baskets. Might try that some day.
Sorry I missed you at the quilt show. I wanted so much to get by on Saturday to "meet you." But things just didn't work out. Glad you got to see the show though. We'll get together some day, I just know it.

retrorevival.biz said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Your pictures look like they came from a magazine ~ so picture perfect. I have a similar, but smaller, basket; you've inspired me to try something creative:)
~Cindy

from my front porch... said...

Donna, you did it again! Gave me another great idea!!! So nice of the neighbors to think of you :)
Thank you for all the sweet comments about my Nana. Love you for it...
xo, misha

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

OK that is the CUTEST thing EVER!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
It turned out really good...love the plants that you used...now I want to make myself one:)

Blessings,
Linda

Red Geranium Cottage said...

OHMY! I love your basket. I love that it's from someone who also sewed and left it behind, then I love what you did with it. The flowers are so happy in it.

Mama Pea said...

That's pretty great. I tell ya', you are so creative it blows my mind!