Monday, June 27, 2011

Sunflowers

Amber and I both loved sunflowers.  I planted some last year but they were not as pretty and tall as the ones this year.
I love this picture with the beautiful blue sky.

They have really grown since we had rain last week.  I think they are just a beautiful flower!
They stand very tall in our backyard.  They have grown more since I took this picture the other day.  We had rain and high winds and the sunflowers were leaning.  We had to use rope to tie them to fence poles ... they are so large!
I cut a couple of the smaller sunflowers and  zinnias to make a simple flower arrangement.  Jennifer had purchased these cute jars in a set of three here in town for $6.97.  They can be hung ... they have a handle around the top of the jars.  Preserves is written on the front of the jars.   Very cute! 
Jennifer just wanted one jar so she gave me the other two ...love them!  They could actually be hung with votives in them for outside at night. So many uses for cute jars ... especially with handles!

Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna


14 comments:

Miriam said...

Lovely sunflowers Donna.
I have never tried to grow them, but after seeing yours I might try them when our weather warms up.

Patsy said...

Sunflowers are one of my favorites also. Enjoy yours!!! Have a blessed day!

Susan said...

Donna I love sunflowers as well! I have not been able to grow the tall ones. I have grown some of the short ones, but even those this year did not turn out!
Is there a secret to growing the tall sunflowers? Yours make you yard look so homey and inviting.

Betty Lou said...

They are just beautiful, a sure sign that summer is in full swing when the sunflowers are tall.

Linda said...

Your sunflowers are so tall and pretty! I can't believe how big they are! your little arrangement is beautiful. Those jars are great!

erin said...

hi donna,
i just love you cheerful sunflowers so much....it is amazing to me, that those flowers can grow from a seed in one season...incredible, really! we have been lucky enough to be getting some lucious rain recently...the gardens and gardeners are lovin it! happy sunflower day to you!
erin
xxoo

Marilyn said...

I can't believe the difference in seasons--your flowers are amazingly tall!! I have the small wild ones out my back door, but my mom would call them weeds if she saw them! ♥♫

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Your sunflowers are amazing. I love sunflowers. Someday I'm going to plant some. And someday I'm also going to make a sunflower quilt.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Your sunflowers are just gorgeous! I love sunflowers. I have to start them in pots because the birds pick the seeds out of the ground!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Years ago a farmer up the road from us planted a field of sunflowers on hill. When they bloomed, it was just gorgeous.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I love your sunflowers! They are one of my favorites. They just shout SUMMER! Mine didn't come up this year - we have a gopher. I think he might have ate my seeds! Still can't catch that stinkin' gopher! Well, my short ones came up, but not my nice tall ones.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures!

donna said...

Donna I love your sun flowers. Esp. the one with sky as the background. Beautiful pictures.
Hugs
donna

Mama Pea said...

Cute jar. We planted sunflowers this year, too. They are only as high as my knee right now! LOL!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Donna, your sunflowers are gorgeous and I love your pictures, especially the ones with the single sunflowers and the sky in the background. Sunflowers are so happy! Every time I see sunflowers, I can't help but think of you! That little jar is so cute. I'm a sucker for jars and little containers. A girl thing, I guess. I know you love seeing your beautiful sunflowers out your back windows. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Love & blessings from NC!