Saturday, July 16, 2011

Baby Quilt and Embroidered Towels


Recently I needed a couple of quick projects for gifts ... one for a baby boy and a quick wedding gift.

Here is the baby quilt with the fun fabrics.  It was very quick to sew.  I made it in a few hours.
I used the polka dots on the back and stripped pieced the binding with leftover fabrics.  Inexpensive to make!  I had the batting so I just had to buy a few fabrics.  The mother loved it for her little one :)
I also needed a quick wedding gift for a friend so I went to Belk (a local dept store here in the South) and purchased handtowels.  I embroidered a "B" for the brides last name.  Most ladies here in the South love something monogramed!  It's a Southern thing :)  The simples towels were a hit with the bride and groom.

These projects goes to show you that you don't have to spend a ton of money on gifts that people will love.  I actually got the handtowels on sale and for the babies quilt most of the supplies I had in my sewing room.

I am joining up with Susan at Blackberry Creek for her weekly UFO update.   Thank you Susan for hosting this weekly party!


We have been very busy around here redoing a room and it has been very time consuming.  My dining room is overflowing with stuff from the room that is getting a makeover.  I will be glad when our project is done and I can show pics!

Thank you for stopping in!
Hugs,
Donna



18 comments:

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Donna! Just thinking about you and glad to see that you have been busy creating. The gifts are just wonderful and beautifully made.

That peach pie looks lovely, too!

Have a sweet weekend,
Becky

lillianscupboard said...

Those are such lovely gifts and will be used for a long time.

Miriam said...

Great embroidered handtowels and I love the baby quilt.
A personal, hand made gift means so much more, I think.

Betty Lou said...

Such lovely gifts, a cute boy quilt and the towels are beautiful. Is that your hand embroidery? Wonderful. Have to love Belk---my favorite store.

LuAnn said...

I love the towels. What a great idea, and the couple will know that it is something that you put some thought into and worked on yourself. Cute baby quilt, too!

Linda said...

Darling little quilt!! I love the towels. I bet they were a huge hit. I loved getting gifts like that at my shower.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Nice gifts and both have a personal touch.
Enjoy your weekend.

Deb said...

Very colorful quilt, Donna. I love the polka dot backing, too! And the towels are so very nice...you did a great job on the monogram. Belk's is an old-time favorite store of mine. We always called it Leggetts for the family that owned it in our small town.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh, what a sweet gift with that baby blanket.

The monogrammed towels are lovely. I like monogrammed things...especially linens and handkerchiefs ;) :) It reall adds such a lovely touch :) :)

Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather ;)

Susan said...

Donna for some reason I could not see the towels! But the baby quilt is adorable!

erin said...

such a cute quilt......handmade gifts are the best! i hope you are staying cool down there? i am over the heat and humidity.
take care,
erin
xxoo

donna said...

What wonderful gifts to receive. You just gave me an idea for a wedding present I need to do. Handmade gifts are the best thing you can ever give.
Hugs
donna

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I have always loved to make handmade gifts. Your baby quilt is adorable and I love those monogrammed towels. They are beautiful!!! I still wish we lived closer to each other. We would have so much fun "crafting" together. Hope you are having a nice weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

Thelma said...

Great job monogramming those towels, they look like they were done by a professional! Your baby quilt is adorable too, great job, as always Donna! Good luck with the redo, I have a couple of rooms that need updating, I need to get on that!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

And a handmade gift is always nice. Your work is beautiful, and I love how you can make something so nice without spending a fortune.

Jen in NY said...

The baby quilt is beautiful! I am so impressed that you made it in just a few hours. I'm sure it will be treasured for many years to come! And the embroidered towels are gorgeous...personalized gifts are the best!! Thinking of you and your remodel...I'm sure it will be worth it in the end! Can't wait to see!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

How darling! That sweet little quilt is in all my favorite colors! It would have been perfect in Baby Bee's nursery! And what a great idea for the towels, but wait......how did you embroider them like that? Do you have a fancy machine? They look wonderful and very Southern and classy.

Jen said...

Love those towels! What a fabulous gift. You're right, they do look expensive. Do you do those on an emroidery machine? I would love to make some like that one day!