Friday, July 1, 2011

Quilt Update

I am joining Susan at Blackberry Creek for the Little Green Quilts UFO Bust.  Susan always has some kind of quilting project in progress and is very inspiring.  I love her blog header with the bunny quilt ... love me some bunnies!
This week I am sharing a quilt top that is now completed and another quilt I began cutting yesterday.
Hold your eyes ... here's my BRIGHT watermelon quilt.  I took these pics at night so the color is not the greatest.
This was my first ever paper piecing project.  I began this quilt top several years ago.  I made all of the watermelon blocks and accidentally cut off one of the edges ... GRR!  I had to take it apart and remake it.  You only do it once and then you LEARN to NEVER do it again! 

This is more of the "true" color of the watermelon slices ...  bright.
Those little pinwheels were a pain to make!  They are not perfect by any means!  If I could redo them I probably would.   No second thought ... I could redo them but I am not going to! LOL  Now just to get it quilted.

I always have "help" when I am working!  What is about cats and quilts?
They just go together! 

Here's my new project ... like I need another one!  I love the new Sew Cherry line of fabrics by Riley Blake.  I love cherries and this fabric begged me to purchase it!
I am going to make dresden plate quilt blocks.  I may embroider cherries in the middle of the "plate".
Love the cherries ... makes me happy!  I love the colors of this fabric line with the reds, pinks, greens, blues and yellows. 
Told you I always have "help".  Here's my other furbaby!  She can't see well and she always has to check out what I am doing.  That will be one of my future posts ... about my kitties.
 Now I am off to my sewing room to do some sewing.  I am sure one of my "helpers" will join me :)

If you live here in the US I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July weekend.
Thank you for visiting!

Hugs,
Donna


15 comments:

Linda said...

I love your helpers! :-) Watermelon quilt is fantastic!! So pretty for summer!!

LuAnn said...

I just love that watermelon quilt. The bright fabrics are wonderful!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I LOVE your watermelon quilts. The colors and prints are so bright and happy. Very summery. Of course, I love your little helpers too.

baquilter said...

What a delightfully cheery watermelon quilt!! I love the bright colors and those little pinwheels look great to me.

I have a screened door on my sewing room to keep my feline helpers out of my creative chaos.

Happy 4th to you!

Marilyn said...

Like the quilts! My kitty (actually Wally's) always has to be on the paper when I'm talking to my mom to get her grocery list. EVERY time! Enjoy the Fourth and eat some watermelon. ♥♫

Mama Pea said...

Yay! I'm doing that UFO challenge, too, but I haven't made much progress this year. LOL. But, I still have a few months, right? I LOVE your watermelon quilt. I am a real sucker for all things watermelon! And cherries, too. I have admired that line, too. I can't wait to see how your Dresden plates turn out!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Donna, your watermelon quilt is beautiful. I love the bright colors!!! And speaking of paper piecing... I really enjoy that technique. Your kitties are so cute! Our cat loves to be where we are too. My good friend that we went to NYC & the beach with really loves cherries. That quilt is going to be awesome too. I sure wish you lived closer as we would have so much fun quilting together. You have certainly been on my mind recently. Hope you have a nice 4th weekend! Love & blessings from NC!

Sandy said...

Your watermelon quilt looks refreshing. I've been looking at a pattern for one - but just like you, I really don't need another project.
It doesn't seem like it's been a year since your daughter got married.. she is such a pretty bride.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great job on the quilt! Every kitty I ever had would lay on what I was working on or reading.
Hope you are enjoying the holiday weekend.

donna said...

Donna I love your watermelon quilt. Cute, Cute.
I bought a few pieces of Sew Cherry. Not sure what to make yet.
Hugs
donna

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Donna,
Oh my word, that watermelon quilt is so CUTE!!! ...and the sweet kitty coming to help...LOVE IT :) :) I'm not sure why cats like quilts. They know quality when they see it :) :) Have a great 4th of July weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Donna, your watermelon quilt is darling; I love decorating for summer with watermelons.

The Riley Blake like of fabric is fun! I'm looking forward to seeing this project come together.

BeachGypsy said...

WOW! Your watermelon quilt is so gorgeous!! Youre doing a great job and I bet that will be a family treasure for generations to come!! Lovely work!!

Jen in NY said...

What a treat to see your beautiful watermelon quilt! Oh it is so pretty, I love it, you did a beautiful job! :-) I love the Riley Blake fabrics too, they are so happy! Happy 4th! xo Jen

John'aLee said...

That watermelon quilt is awesome!
Looking forward to seeing you next week at the show girlie!