Monday, July 11, 2011

Yummy Peach Pie

I love fresh peaches!  My son-in-law grew up in "peach country" here in Alabama and was sweet enough to bring me a basket of fresh peaches last week.  I had just read the July issue of Southern Living magazine and on the front cover was this peach pie that was calling for me to make it!
This was right after I took it out of the oven!

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Peach Pie

8 large fresh, firm, ripe peaches (about 4 lb.)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
Pie crust
*This calls for a homemade pie crust ... but I really like Mrs. Smith's pie crust. I don't seem to have the patience to make my own crust when Mrs. Smith's does a great job! I use the second crust in the package to make the lattice top.
Preheat oven to 425ยบ.
Peel peaches, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; cut slices in half. Stir together brown sugar and next 4 ingredients.  Add peaches, stirring to coat. Immediately spoon peach mixture into piecrust and dot with 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter. (Do not make mixture ahead or it will become too juicy.)

Freeze pie 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a jelly-roll pan in oven 10 minutes. Place pie on hot jelly-roll pan.

Bake at 425° on lower oven rack 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°; bake 40 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, and bake 25 more minutes or until juices are thick and bubbly (juices will bubble through top). Transfer to a wire rack; cool 2 hours before serving.

*Definitely bake this on a jelly-roll pan ... or you will have a mess in your oven!  Thank goodness I followed directions and placed mine on one! 

I served it with vanilla ice cream and it is yummy!

If you have fresh peaches you should really give this recipe a try!

Thanks for visiting!

Hugs,
Donna


11 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

That looks so good !! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Enjoy your day.

retrorevival.biz said...

Oh my! I'm so hungry right now and how I'd love to dig into a piece of this! Thank you for sharing the recipe:)
~Cindy

Linda said...

Holy yumminess!!! Looks soooooo good!!! :-)

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Beautiful and yummy looking pie!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Looks like it could win a prize at the fair!

Carolyn :)

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Beautiful and yummy looking pie!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Looks like it could win a prize at the fair!

Carolyn :)

Thelma said...

Yum, that peach pie looks amazing, I agree, ice cream on side, a must! I'm so happy so see you've been sewing, I just love the watermelon quilt. I've yet to make a single watermelon quilt, last summer I bought 3 watermelon patterns.....someday!

Denise said...

Looks yummy......... I will tuck this away till fall, when it is cooler....... too hot right not to heat up the house....

Have a blessed Tuesday......

Jen in NY said...

Wow that looks great! I would have thought THAT was the magazine cover! I'm a big fan of peach pie, I'll have to try this recipe! Thanks Donna. xo Jen

donna said...

Peach Pie is one of my favorites. Yours looks so good mmmmmm. Thanks so much for the recipe
Hugs
donna

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
This looks soooo yummy...love me some good ole peach pie!!! Thanks for the tip about the pan:)

Blessings,
Linda

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Donna, I had you on my mind tonight and I was so happy to see your blog and get the peach pie recipe. Your pie looks delicious and so pretty! Love & blessings from NC!