Monday, August 15, 2011

Antique Dress Potholders

Back in the Spring I found these adorable antique crocheted dress potholders at a thrift store.  I imagined they would be pricey but to my excitement they were just $2 each!
This one is adorable with the little butterfly sleeves and colored border at the hem.  I can only imagine some lady sitting and making this cutie!

And another precious little dress with red trim! This one laces up the back.
 I knew immediately my potholders would go in my sewing room. 
I really don't know how they were ever used as potholders ... they are not lined with anything.  They must have been used for decoration in the kitchen.  Imagine the work in these little treasures.  It makes me think back to when I crocheted years ago.

I have been organizing and moving things around in my sewing room.  I moved my grandmother's treadle sewing machine in my sewing room and here it is where I am tweaking the decor! The lamp was a makeover I posted here.

 I have my complete house in chaos due to the makeover of  another room where the sewing machine was located.
 Oh ... let me honest here ... my house is always chaos!  I have to admit I am a clutterbug!  But you know if I didn't have my hobbies I would be a crazy woman for sure :)  My sweet hubby has just learned to live with it!
I did get Jennifer's drapes made and hung last week ... one more thing off my list of things to do!  She said I could share her master bedroom soon.  I still have to make a couple of pillows.
I am joining Linda at Coastal Charm for her  Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays.
Thank you for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

14 comments:

Linda said...

Those are just darling!! And what a deal!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I remember when those were popular. I never crocheted - lack of patience I guess. Looking forward to seeing your daughter's MB redo and your sewing room.
Enjoy your evening.

Marilyn said...

I have one just like the red and white one that my grandmother crocheted. I used them to dress my dolls from the Fab soap boxes, at least I think the dolls came out of soap boxes!! Maybe they were dishcloths? I have my grandmother's sewing machine, too! And my house is always a bit of chaos, but I live here and not in a magazine. ;D That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Have a great week.♥♫

Ann Marie said...

The red and white one reminds me of the crocheted dresses you put over your dishsoap bottle to hide it.

donna said...

Your pot holders are great. Now I am sad I did not by some that I saw in the spring. The top om your sewing machine is cute. I too am reorganizing and decorating. Can not see to get things just right.
Hugs
donna

camp and cottage living said...

I love you little dress potholders!
I think the sewing room is the perfect place for them.

Betty Lou said...

How sweet and they look perfect in your sewing room. I wonder who made them?

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
Happy to see ya at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY with these darling little pot holders...I sold some like them back when I was in the business.

Blessings,
Linda

retrorevival.biz said...

These ARE darling! I have a few vintage, crocheted potholders too (though not dresses like yours) and have been thinking about framing them ~ so pretty I want to display them!

~Cindy

John'aLee said...

Absolutely darling!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What treasures and fond memories you brought back. I can remember my Grandmother making these... hugs ~lynne~

Denise said...

I so remember these little dresses... My grandmother used to make them.... I wish I had of them today....... You found a great deal...

I am going over to see what the NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY is all about......

Blessings for your Sunday..

Mama Pea said...

Cute stuff. Moving things around can be a fun way to make the house feel more "new" again, right?

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I am behind on my blog reading, but I'll try to catch up. Those potholders are precious! I would have snatched them up too. So cute in your sewing room. My house seems to always be in a mess too! I just have to much "stuff". Oh well, our stuff makes us happy, doesn't it? Love & blessings from NC!