Sunday, August 21, 2011

Drab to Fab

My "new" cedar chest ... and I love it!
After the makeover ...
This is a cedar chest I acquired several years ago. I like it because it looks like a table. I've had it in a room my husband and I have updated and it needed an update too. 
My daughter called it the "brown blob"!  It did not belong to anyone in our family so I thought why not paint it. 
I knew it would bring out the details in the piece.
We had the off white trim paint and the chocolate glaze that was used on our kitchen cabinets so my hubby and I went to work!
 I had fun glazing this piece and watching the details come to life!

My husband even took the handles off and spray painted them oil rubbed bronze. 
We didn't have any cost with this makeover. It was all things we had on hand or left over from other projects.

I have been playing with accessories on top of the chest. I will tweak and tweak again! I am still unpacking boxes.  We painted another piece that goes in this room also and I love it too.  I will share it next ... it went from drab to fab too!

Thanks for visiting!

Hugs,
Donna

Linda at Coastal Charm for their linky parties.

21 comments:

Jen in NY said...

Donna, the chest is just gorgeous! Wow, you have such a gift for makeovers! Hey maybe you can swing by here one of these days, I could use some serious help! LOL Anyway it's beautiful, you and your husband did a great job! xo JEn

Pat said...

Beautiful metamorphosis, Donna!

Maggie said...

Donna this is beyond fabulous, would you come to my house and do mine lol?
I will be honored if you will share it with our readers in our linking party at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/08/11-million-visitors-with-new-london-eye.html
Thank you,
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Denise said...

It is beautiful! I have a couple of pieces that I am going to paint...... now seeing yours I am excited......

donna said...

Donna your ceder chest turned out beautiful. I like it much better this way not so dark and it has more life. Ya'll did a great job
Hugs
donna

Betty Lou said...

Well, it certainly is fab--------what a neat cedar chest, doesn't look like one.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
Her makeover looks outstanding...love how the glaze looks. See ya at the party:)

Blessings,
Linda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You two did a great job - very pretty. Don't think I have ever seen a cedar chest made like that.

Terry said...

Oh how splendid it is!

LANA said...

I often see Queen-Anne style furniture discarded for being out of style - who knew it would look so good. You did a fantastic job! Lana www.lifeatwildberrycottage.com

MiriamR said...

looks beautiful!!

Bernie said...

Great job you two, looks lovelyl.....:-)Hugs

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

What a pretty transformation.

Danielle

FABBY'S LIVING said...

It sure turned out just gorgeous, my!, what a team!! You guys should make house calls...well, around where you live, maybe, I just realized that with me, it's just wishful thinking....hugs. FABBY

Marilyn said...

Beautiful work. My cedar chest has the French look to it, but the legs are much shorter. The glaze adds so much to it. Maybe I should try that on mine.♥♫

retrorevival.biz said...

A fabu makeover, Donna! I've been wanting to replace our oversized sideboard that's sitting in our foyer and this inspires me to find something similar and give it a facelift!

~Cindy

Jen said...

What a great way to update the cedar chest!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What a transformation! I love it. And I gotta tell you, I'm not too crazy about the before. I agree with Jennifer's brown blog descriptions. But it's certainly lovely now.

John'aLee said...

Wow! What a difference. I just picked up some pieces at a garage sale to work on....but haven't ever done this kind of thing. Wish you lived closer!!

Mama Pea said...

Love that makeover! My husband cringes whenever I want to paint anything that's a nice wood. But I say, if you don't like it the way it is, who cares?! I really love what you have done!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Donna, it is amazing to me what a coat of paint and some glaze can do to a piece of furniture. I love it!!! I know you were thrilled with all your hard work. So beautiful. Love & blessings from NC!