Tuesday, October 25, 2011

From Dress to Pillow

I have often seen pillows being made from sweaters and other clothing items on other blogs.  When I spotted this dress of Jennifer's in the donate pile I thought why not make a pillow.  It was a sorority dress from her college years. I always loved this dress and the fabric.
It was dry clean only but I threw it in the washer and here it is after being washed and dryed.  Wrinkled ... but it ironed great.

This is my new little pillow I made with the fabric from the dress.  It's not very big ... just an accent pillow.  I had a few leftover scraps and made a rosette to go on it.  By the time I cut out the pillow and made the cording I had very little fabric left.  It was fun to make and I will always have memories of Jennifer wearing it.

I forgot to show a couple of blocks I made for this post a couple of weeks ago.  I received the sweetest note from John'aLee thanking me for the blocks.  God Bless our soldiers and their families.

Well I am back to my sewing room.  I have a baby gift to make and I need to make a few Christmas gifts.  I can't believe Christmas is two months away! 
My how time flies.

Thanks for visiting.
Hugs,
Donna

14 comments:

Jen in NY said...

Hi Donna! I love love love the pillow. What a nice way to save the dress. The quilt blocks are so pretty too (I love stars). Can't wait to see the baby gift! :-) Jen

Marilyn said...

The pillow looks so nice with the flower on it! Great idea.♥♫

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The pillow turned out so pretty! I found out years ago, many items that say dry clean only can be washed with great results - not all, but many of them.

Thelma said...

Wow, aren't you clever! That dress made a wonderful pillow, I never would have thought of that. That dress would have stayed in the donate pile at my house.

Betty Lou said...

What a sweet little pillow filled with lots of memories.

Debbie said...

That pillow is absolutely beautiful! Great job!!! I love your work!!! (and your blog).

God Bless~
Debbie

Michele Smith said...

Wow the dress made a great pillow! I would have never thought of that.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

LOVE it and love the memories that go with your pillow!! Your quilt blocks are so pretty, Donna!!! You've been a busy little woman!!!

Have fun sewing!

xxoo
Becky

Jen said...

Wow! This is such a great project. Your pillow looks so classy and grown up. What an amazing before and after!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a pretty pillow Donna and a great way to save something special!!!

Blessings,
Linda

retrorevival.biz said...

Pretty little pillow, Donna. Hope you're feeling better:)

~Cindy

Denise said...

Just made a pillow last night late .. When Mom was here the last couple of months of her life she could remember how to crochet. We kept her in thread and she just went back and forth and sometimes turned too soon which made the "afghan" lopsided but it kept her busy.. When she died I had that afghan laying on the couch with the tread and needle. It has laid around for over a year now so last night I cut out a 14x14 square and sewed it to a piece of tea stained muslin.. then sewed it to another piece of pretty fabric and turned it right side out..... I made a little square out of tea stained muslin and embroidered "Grandma's Hands " on it and I will sew that to the top and put buttons of mothers on each corner .. I have enough to make 3-4.... I will give them to one of the granddaughter that I am close to.....There is always something that you can make out of old memories.........

I love your pillow.... you did such a great job.....

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

What a great way to preserve a memory!

Mama Pea said...

Okay, that is so cool! I love that pillow, and you are so amazing that you can make something so gorgeous out of an old dress!