Thursday, November 10, 2011

Delicious Apple Pie

I have made this apple pie every Thanksgiving since I found the recipe about 10 years ago ... it's yummy any time of the year!  I made one just this week.

The pie is usually piled higher with apples but I kept eating them as I sliced :)


Crunchy Carmel Apple Pie


Ingredients for the Pie

1 pastry crust for a deep-dish pie 9-inch (homemade or store-bought - I like Mrs. Smith's)

1/2 cup sugar

3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/8 tsp salt

6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (golden delicious and fuji apples were recommended)

1 recipe crumb topping (see below)

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/4 cup caramel topping


Ingredients for the Crumb Topping

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats

1/2 cup butter


Directions for the Crumb Topping

Directions for Crumb Topping: 1. Stir together brown sugar, flour, rolled oats.

2. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until topping is like course crumbs. Set aside.


Directions for the Pie

1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.

2. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.

3. Transfer apple mixture to the pie shell (I remove the store-bought pie shell from the aluminum pie plate and transfer it to a 9-inch pie plate of my own, but you do not have to.)

4. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.

5. Place pie on a cookie sheet so the drippings don't drop into your oven.

6. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.

7. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 25 minutes. Then remove foil and put back in for another 25 to 30 minutes without foil.

8. Remove from oven. Sprinkle pie with chopped pecans then drizzle with caramel on top.

9. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy warm or at room temperature.


I am still working on my ornaments and will post them hopefully tomorrow for a giveaway.  This week has not gone as I had planned ... does life ever go as planned?

Thanks for visiting!

Hugs,
Donna


*Kathleen ... you asked me a question in my post about the ornaments and I couldn't reply ... came up with a no reply blogger.  If you leave me another message with your email I will get back with you!

10 comments:

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

**oh**
**my**
*******goodness!*****

i just gained five pounds by virtual eating! Looks delish!!! If I wasn't on a soft food diet for having an emergency root canal yesterday, I'd make one today for our family!

xxoo
Becky

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh my word, I wanted to reach through my computer screen and grab a slice. That does look and I do love pecans, especially :) :) Thanks for sharing the recipe :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California (formerly Oregon), Heather :)

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

This looks delish, I will have to make it ! Thanks for sharing!

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

that recipy sounds wonderful. apple pie is my favorite.. yummmmmmmm

My Life and Quilting on the Cape said...

Hi Donna... The pie sounds so yummy... I will have to give it a try... Thanks for sharring... Oh, by the way... I made the ornaments years ago... They are fun to make ... I love the choice of fabric you picked out... Lovely job.. Hugs :)

donna said...

mmmm just to smell Apple Pie. Your reciepe sounds yummy I am going to have to give it a try.
Hugs
donna

ABamaMom said...

Looks like a new pie recipe for Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing, Donna!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds and looks yummy. Like the pecans and caramel added.

Linda said...

I LOVE apple pie. I will be trying this one out! :-)

Mama Pea said...

Nummy. That looks REALLY good!