I have made this apple pie every Thanksgiving since I found the recipe about 10 years ago ... it's yummy any time of the year! I made one just this week.
The pie is usually piled higher with apples but I kept eating them as I sliced :)
Crunchy Carmel Apple Pie
Ingredients for the Pie
1 pastry crust for a deep-dish pie 9-inch (homemade or store-bought - I like Mrs. Smith's)
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (golden delicious and fuji apples were recommended)
1 recipe crumb topping (see below)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup caramel topping
Ingredients for the Crumb Topping
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup butter
Directions for the Crumb Topping
Directions for Crumb Topping: 1. Stir together brown sugar, flour, rolled oats.
2. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until topping is like course crumbs. Set aside.
Directions for the Pie
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
2. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.
3. Transfer apple mixture to the pie shell (I remove the store-bought pie shell from the aluminum pie plate and transfer it to a 9-inch pie plate of my own, but you do not have to.)
4. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.
5. Place pie on a cookie sheet so the drippings don't drop into your oven.
6. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.
7. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 25 minutes. Then remove foil and put back in for another 25 to 30 minutes without foil.
8. Remove from oven. Sprinkle pie with chopped pecans then drizzle with caramel on top.
9. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
I am still working on my ornaments and will post them hopefully tomorrow for a giveaway. This week has not gone as I had planned ... does life ever go as planned?
Thanks for visiting!
*Kathleen ... you asked me a question in my post about the ornaments and I couldn't reply ... came up with a no reply blogger. If you leave me another message with your email I will get back with you!