Sunday, November 20, 2011

Finally My Chair(s) Makeover

I have two chairs that were my mother's she had purchased for her living room in the 1970's.  It was a formal living room but rarely used ... just pretty to look at.   The chairs were still in very good shape ... they were never sat in!  After my mother passed away in 1981 my dad had closed off the living room and the chairs sat for years unused.  A couple of years ago my dad passed away and I brought the chairs home and they sat in my garage for two years.  I finally decided I would use them in this room (I posted here and here)  that I am making over.  This room has taken forever!
Here is one of the chairs before.  The lovely olive green with gold that was popular back then.  This picture makes them look better than they were :)
 
Finally I got the chairs back yesterday and I love the new look!  I chose a cream fabric since I want to use all natural colors in my "new" room.  I have enough fabric to make cushions or perhaps a tree skirt for my Christmas tree I use in this room.

I have two end tables that match the french provincial style also.  I now have to decide which one to use ... either a drum table or the square table she had between them.  They both have marble inserts in the top.  I will try them both to see which one I like the best.
I finally found THE fabric last week I was looking for to use for drapes.  Isn't it funny how you go searching for a certain something and can't find what you want. And then one day I was in Birmingham (not looking for drapery fabric) walking in a store and there the fabric was!  Now I have to get at least one window made before my Christmas tree goes up next weekend in this room.  I have a busy week ahead with lots of sewing.  I will be so glad to get this room finished!
Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

I am linking up to Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday.

14 comments:

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

They look terrific Donna.. you sure choose a great fabric.

xoxo
Sonny

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The chair recovered is pretty! I remember all that green and gold. :D Looking forward to seeing the full room makeover.
Have a great week.

Martha said...

Love the reupholstered chair! That color is perfect!

Shelia said...

Hi Donna! Oh, your chair is gorgeous! I just love the back and the fabric you chose is so pretty!
Be a sweetie and have a blessed Thanksgiving.
Shelia ;)

Stitched With Prayer said...

Donna, the chair is absolutely beautiful. Ah the green and gold...my mom had a couch in the green and gold, but that was in the early 70's. Anyway, I can't wait to see the entire room when you are finished and ready to share it with us. I'm betting it is going to be completely wonderful. Hugs...

donna said...

Your chairs turned out gorgeous. That is my favorite kind of treasure. Hope you room comes together soon.
Hugs
donna

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Great transformation! I can't wait to see it all put together. I like the paint on the walls. (At least I think it's paint.)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking good...beautiful fabric and wonderful color!

Blessings,
Linda

Bianca said...

Love that chair!!! Some things are worth keeping and make pretty again. Can't wait to see how it all fits together.
And the best way to find something is stop looking for it.... Happy accidents I call them.
Bianca.
(my blog is now bi-lingual by the way, so it's easier to follow... http://biancavdwiel.blogspot.com

The Southern Mom said...

Love...love! The neutral fabric is so great. You can decorate so many ways! Hope you have a good Thanksgiving!

Debbie

Pam said...

Those turned out so well. I have my eye on a similarly styled chair at the antique mall, but I couldn't decide how to recover it. The light color makes it look totally different.

Marilyn said...

Very elegant chairs. Wish I had a pair!

May you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving.♥♫

Susan said...

Donna your chairs are gorgeous!~ I love that you chose cream! Happy Thanksgiving my sweet friend!

Mama Pea said...

Beautiful! I have a bunch of chairs that need to be recovered. I need to find a good person to do it for me. I need to wait until we build our dining room, though. We use the dining room set every day right now (which is a shame), and I don't want to recover them until we aren't using them every day (which is trashing them).