Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Singer Featherweight

I love my little Singer Featherweight sewing machine.  I purchased it two years ago and I rarely sew on it but I know it is here if I need it. It sews great!  I often wonder when I look at it who owned the machine before me and if they made quilts or clothing.  If only it could talk!  The serial number on mine when I researched says it was produced around 1957.  This little thing is older than me! 

Many quilters take their featherweights to quilt retreats because they are so light weight.  It only weighs a few pounds.  The machines came with their own little black case for carrying.  I was fortunate that mine has all the accessories with it.

Right now I have mine sitting on top of my grandmother's treadle sewing machine in my sewing room.  I have several sewing machines from over the years but this little jewel makes me happy.

Technology is amazing and how far it has come over the years. When I look at my Bernina sewing machine and look at this one it makes me smile!

If you haven't entered my ornament giveaway click here or the picture in my sidebar and it will link you up! 

 I have had several questions and emails on how to make the ornaments.  You can research online and find instructions or there are tutorials that can be purchased on Etsy.

Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

10 comments:

Stitched With Prayer said...

Donna, I have been watching for a Featherweight since I started quilting 4 years ago (next March). Yours is really lovely. I have my Pfaff, not fancy, but I love it all the same. Then I have an old Singer that I bought 40 years ago from the school district that was selling all their home ec. machines to upgrade them. I made a lot of school and work clothes on the old Singer, along with curtains, bed skirts and all the things we couldn't afford to buy. She certainly isn't portable, she's very heavy and I have her in my mothers old machine cabinet. She still runs like a champ even if she does sound like a freight train because she is all mechanical, no computer part in her. I know she's there if I ever need her...but I still want to get a Featherweight someday. Big Hugs...

Bianca said...

Been looking for a lovely old sowingmachine for years, if it was only to display it on my sidetabele with a miniture-quilt under the neadle.
But, my house is to full (says my husband) so it will continue to be a wish....
Love your Featherweight.....
Bianca

Betty Lou said...

I love my little Featherweight also and truth be known it sews much quieter than my Bernina.

Marilyn said...

I AM older than your Singer! lol I have my grandmother's treadle machine, my mom's Singer, and my own Pfaff machine that Wally bought for me. AND, I have a pink toy sewing machine, too. I guess that is a collection, isn't it?!♥♫

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

I have my Nana's mom's "White" brand sewing machine! It still has all the attachments and the bill of lading tucked in it! A friend has used it a couple of times just for the fun of it! Donna, if I closed to you, I would take sewing
lessons :)
xo, misha

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I love that old machine!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Those will probably out last the ones made today. I have my Great Aunts old treadle machine - actually my daughter has it in her home right now. Probably won't get it back. :D
Enjoy your weekend.

jennspeacornpopnuts.com said...

Hi Donna. I was stopping by blogs I had bookmarked some time back (I blog and then quit it seems and there goes my followings). Anyway, I browsed a bit, because I was trying to find a "Debbie" who also lost a daughter. I remembered Amber's photo right away. I'm so glad that you are doing well, and that some of the pain is mitigated by time and moving on. My heart had hurt for you when I was following.
Your blog looks awesome! And, yes, I will stop by and post on your giveaway and refollow.
Good to see you again! Hugs,Jenn

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I didn't realize that they made lightweigh ones...how cool!!

Blessings,
Linda

Mama Pea said...

I just got a Featherweight very recently. I'm so excited about it and can't wait to sew on it more!