Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hummingbird Bundt Cake

Since I am a southern girl I was raised on southern cooking.  I began cooking when I was ten years old.  I have always loved to bake ... especially sweets!
When I saw this cake in the February issue of Southern Living magazine I knew I had to make it.
I made it last week and it is delicious!  It would be good without the glaze if you want to cut calories.

    Hummingbird Bundt Cake

    Cake Batter

    • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour 
    • 2 cups sugar 
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
    • large eggs, lightly beaten 
    • 1 3/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 large)
    • (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
    • 3/4 cup canola oil 
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • Glaze
    • 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened 
    • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • to 2 Tbsp. milk 

    • 1. Prepare Cake Batter: Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
    • 2. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in eggs and next 4 ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Sprinkle 1 cup toasted pecans into a greased and floured 14-cup Bundt pan. Spoon batter over pecans.
    • 3. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 2 hours).
    • 4. Prepare Glaze: Process cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 Tbsp. milk in a food processor until well blended. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. at a time, processing until smooth. Immediately pour glaze over cooled cake, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup toasted pecans.

    • It's yummy!
    • Thanks for visiting.
    • Hugs,
    • Donna

    10 comments:

    Glenda/MidSouth said...

    Yum! That looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe
    Enjoy your weekend.

    Grandma Barb's This and That said...

    That looks delicious!

    Linda said...

    Looks so yummy!!!

    My Life and Quilting on the Cape said...

    Hi Donna... Boy that sounds yummy... I will have to try it soon... Thanks for sharring... Hugs :)

    Mama Pea said...

    oh, man! That looks good!

    Bianca said...

    Yumm, that's looking almost too good! To get in the travel-mood, maybe I could try to make it...

    Have a good weekend.
    Hugs, Bianca

    Jen in NY said...

    That looks absolutely delicious!! I am so hungry just looking at that cake. Yum!

    Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

    Honestly it sounds good, but the frosting and the nuts ... heavenly!

    Betty Lou said...

    I will copy this recipe and serve it next time my quilting bee girls come to my house. Sounds delishious. Thank you for sharring.

    Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

    Love bundt cakes! It sure looks wonderful. Oh, and btw, your blog looks adorable. Who did the design? Amber's flower frame looks so pretty.

    xxoo
    Becky