Thursday, April 26, 2012

Letting Go

This post isn't about quilting, sewing, cooking or decorating.  It's about letting go.,,
A purple clematis I planted  in memory of Amber.

A few weeks ago my husband asked me what we were going to do with Amber's wheelchairs.  We have the last one she used in her bedroom.  The other two have been in my garage for years.  We would sometimes need parts off of one or have to replace something so we kept them.  I really wanted to find someone who really needed a wheelchair.   Amber had used this particular wheelchair in high school and college.  It would only fit a smaller person.  I had heard from a friend on facebook that she knew a little boy who needed one.  He had a form of muscular dystrophy also.  Not the form Amber had but there are so many neuromuscular diseases ... his situation is different as they all are :(

I left the mother a message about the wheelchair. She was  looking for one just to use on occasion when he has to walk long distances.  She called me and we cried together talking about Amber and her son.  She told me I was the first person who understood what she is going through.  I told her I sadly did know what it was like.  So many people that have healthy children just don't realize how fortunate they are.  It's devastating to see your child slowly losing control of their legs or in some cases other things.

To make a long story short the little boy and his dad came the other day to pick up the wheelchair and this sweet child was thrilled to be given the wheelchair.  I am glad it wasn't pink!  He rolled all over our driveway with a huge smile on his face and gave me a hug when they left.  This made my heart happy that someone could use Amber's wheelchair and I knew who he was.  If I had given it to a charity I may never have known the mother's heartache and sharing Amber's story.  It was just amazing how God works in our lives!

I plan on keeping in touch with the family and maybe I can help again one day. I told her to call me anytime she wanted to talk or had questions about what we went through.  If you have read my blog for any length of time I have shared my feelings numerous times. Some of you write to tell me about things you have read about Amber and her name comes to mind.  Blogging friends say when they see sunflowers or the color purple they think of Amber.  That makes my heart happy :)  I never want her to be forgotten!

The good that came from giving away the wheelchair to the little boy made me realize that things that were bothering me (and I had lost sleep over) were not important at all.  Some people make "issues" over things that don't really matter in the scheme of things.  It's about letting go.  I let go of the wheelchair and I let go of the things that were bothering me.  God is in control!

Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

20 comments:

Lois' Laughlines said...

This is just the most precious thing. What a sweet gift you gave that family and a blessing you all received.'
blessings to you.

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Awe so sweet! Not only were you blessed with your daughter but your daughter was blessed with you!

Creations By Cindy said...

What a blessing you are Donna to that family. How precious! But...though I didn't know Amber I have this gut feeling that is what she would have wanted you to with the chair! Praise the Lord for His on time prompting! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I am sure the family is so grateful and the mother so relieved to have someone who understands and she can talk with. ((hugs))

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh this is so precious and what a sweet gift to this little boy. My grandson just married a girl that is confined to a wheel chair with Muscular Dystrophy. Our heart aches for both of them. I know you understand. Hugs, Marty

Bianca said...

Tearing up while reading. I can't even begin to imagine what you must feel. But what a blessing for that other mother that you do. The only one who can understand anything of what you're going through is someone who is going through the same thing.
Letting go is very difficult, for anyone, but a great gift if you can. I had to find that out for myself too.
Big hug, Bianca

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

I do believe this is one your most beautiful posts, Donna. God does work through us, doesn't He?!
And anytime I see someone wearing purple,or wear my purple Keds, I always think of Amber :)

That amazing little boy now has a new guardian angel! I just know that Amber will be watching over him...
xo, misha

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

I doubt seriously that Amber shall ever be forgotten. Letting go is the hardest thing to do. And it is just like the Lord to send the right person to show you that letting go of that part of Amber was the right thing to do. She is dancing right now.
Blessings to you
Blondie

Aunt 'Reen said...

I'm glad that your generous gift was able to touch another child & family so positively! What a wonderful tribute to your love for Amber! Thank you for the reminder of how important "letting go" can be.

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

I know that family is tickled to have the wheelchair- though of course their greatest wish would be, not to need it.. More importantly they have found YOU and without a doubt I know you'll be a great gift to them.
I think after reading this post that I too will find and plant a purple clemitis and name it Amber. I'll take pics when it blooms and make sure to let you know when I post them.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I don't want to seem presumptuous, but to me, it's not letting go, it's sharing Amber with that young boy and his family. Yet another way to share her love and generosity of spirit is what I'm trying to say. What a good thing you (and Amber) did for that family.

Mama Pea said...

Donna,

This gave me chill bumps (as E calls them) and tears in my eyes. Your generosity of sharing this wheelchair and your empathy with this family will mean so much to all of them. You are keeping Amber's spirit alive in so many ways. She is sharing herself with that little boy. If I can ever do anything to help that family (my field is special education) I would love to. Just say the word if they need something.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

The mother, the little boy, and you were all blessed by your kindness. God has a way of bringing us together with those we need.

My Vintage Studio said...

A beautiful post!
Sending you a hug.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
XO Sharon

donna said...

Awww Donna what a beautiful post. You bring tears to my eyes. That is so sweet of you to give him Amber's wheel chair. You are an amazing person.
Hugs
donna

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Donna, what a generous heart you have to be able to let go of anything that was Amber's. You are an outstanding person, and I love reading your blog and getting encouragement for my walk with Christ just by reading about yours.

Shelia said...

HI Donna! What a heart felt post and I'm sure this family is so grateful for you. God bless you!
Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
You are the sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a wonderful and generous way to preserve Amber's memory though donating her chair. I know it was so appreciated and in loving memroy of your sweet Amber.

Rebecca said...

Miss Donna...

Sweet friend. I must blink for a sec as I can barely see to type.

I needed to read this today.

I did.

God's timing is perfect.

Without saying too much one of my children is facing a possible move far, far away from his father and I. I've been struggling with this and have even been angry that MY CHILD would DARE leave me and his family... Don't they know THEIR LIFE IS MY LIFE?

Reading this post brought me BACK to reality. I have so much to be grateful for...so much to be thankful for and having healthy children and a healthy grandchild (who wasn't always that way) is MORE than I could ever hope for. I need to remember that there are people out there that are hurting and would give anything just to have their child alive.

Blessings to you this day. Blessings as you await the day you'll hold your beautiful daughter in your arms again. What a day that will be!

Thank you. Thank you. Godspeed.

Love, Rebecca

Jen in NY said...

Love this post. Donna I know Amber is so glad you shared her wheelchair. Purple, sunflowers and Yankee Candles...these all remind me of you and Amber. xo Jen