Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Shutter Table

I saw this idea years ago and I don't remember where.  The shutter actually came off our house.  Now you are thinking she is having to tear down the house to build tables! LOL
I told my husband what I wanted and he looked at me like "WHAT"??  He made mine and I have had it on my screened back porch that is probably fifteen years old.  Currently mine is painted red.  I have too much crap stuff on my porch to show you :)
This shutter table that my husband also made is in Jennifer's kitchen.  Can you tell she loves the color green apple?  She had her daddy make this one for her apartment nine years ago when she was in pharmacy school.  It was brown then and she had it in her foyer.  At the time she was decorating on a budget.  When she moved into her new home nearly five years ago the table went with her and she painted it the color of her trim paint.

You can really tell it was a shutter from this pic.  The shutter is made of wood with slats.  The legs are actually stair spindles that my hubby had in his work area that someone had given him.  He had to make the wood frame for the table for the spindles to attach to.  He was still thinking I had lost my mind!

Thought I would show you this recycled window that Jennifer bought at a gift shop in B'ham hanging over the table.  This is a favorite Bible verse of hers and the color was perfect for her kitchen.  When she saw it she knew where she was hanging it.  I have a couple of windows I want to paint ... some day. 

Another view of the shutter table with the cute little lamps she found at HL.  
The colors match perfectly with the painted window.  
She has three large windows to the left of this table and there's a lot of light in the kitchen.

Aren't these lamps just the cutest with the houndstooth design?  Makes it cozy at night with the lamps on.

Maybe one day I will get around to straightening up my porch and I will show you my table made from a shutter.  We recently replaced all of the shutters on our house with vinyl ones so now I have many more tables in my future.  When my husband asked me what to do with the old ones I told him we were keeping them and he just rolled his eyes! LOL  Men just don't get it!

Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

I am linking up to Linda at Coastal Charm for NTT and
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for MM.

15 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
LOVE the shutter table...now don't let him toss all those shutters out:) Also LOVE that window that Jennifer has. Thanks for sharing at my party.

Blessings,
Linda

Peggy57 said...

Hi Donna,
That shutter table is so cute! I have made a window table but not the shutter one lol. You've inspired me to give it a try. Love the window too.
Peggy

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Love, love, love the lamps! HL you say? I love apple green too. My cell phone is apple green, my ipad cover is apple green, my stylus for my ipad is apple green.....it goes on and on. In face, one of my students asked me today if my favorite color was green. I always said red or blue, but now I think it's really green - especially apple green (or maybe jadeite green).

'Nuff about me. I love her window and the whole little vignette. Her newlywed home is coming along quite nicely. Now I can see that guest room peeking out at me so I need to go check that out too.

Clearly, the (green) apple doesn't fall too far from the cutely decorated home tree!

Susan said...

Donna, that table is gorgeous! What a beautiful vignette!

Linda said...

So pretty and charming!!!! LOVE the shutter table. Your hubby is super talented!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

A very pretty vignette - it all works together.
Enjoy your day.

Geri O said...

I love it all. The shutter tables is awesome. I love the old window and the lamps. I'm your newest follower. I hope you will follow me back. http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

Aunt 'Reen said...

That Shutter table is AWESOME! (along with everything else in the picture) I love how you re-purpose/recycle. You are wonderfully creative!

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh my goodness! Love the shutter art on the wall and I ADORE the shutter table! Love it all. Got to pin this....Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bianca said...

What a great idea to recycle shutters! The style of shutters in the netherlands are somewhat different, but would work as a table also. Pity I have no more space left in our house for one.
So curious of your porch, messy or not. I just love porches, mainly because we neither have those over here. We dream about some day building our one house and there will definitly be a wrap around porch!!! (Henk loves them too!)Sometimes I think I was a southern bell in a former life ;-)
Very talented woman, your daughter. But, not suprising with such a creative mother....
Have a great day!

Cozy Little House said...

Oh, it's so pretty and innovative! And we have the same taste in sewing machines! Yea!
Brenda

retrorevival.biz said...

How pretty! The entire setup ~ table, art and lamps. Granny Smith green and houndstooth ~ gorgeous!

~Cindy

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a charming idea. Love the shutter table and old window put together...very "fitting" arrangement. That green is one of my favorites as well!

Debbie Huffaker said...

I saw your shutter table over at Ms. Cindy's blog. I'm so admiring that window with the scripture....it's gorgeous!!! I have a couple of old windows that came out of my parent's house...my Mom certainly isn't into "old" like I am. Would love to do something like that with mine!!! I've enjoyed my visit!!!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

What a great little accent table! It's the perfect size and I love those houndstooth lamps on top!