Monday, May 21, 2012

Catching Up

I have been busy with all kinds of things around the house and haven't had time to blog.  Since my husband's shoulder surgery I have tried to keep the yard as well as he does.  I don't keep it as immaculate as he does but I am trying!  I do mow the lawn with my own John Deere ... yes I have my own!  We have "hers and his" tractors :)  I had much rather work in the yard than in the house.   Here are just a few pics I recently took.
Purple petunias I planted in a  pretty urn as you come onto the front porch ... gotta love purple!  I painted the birdhouse in the background years ago.  I like to sit on my front porch after dark and rock away in the rocking chairs looking up at the stars.

A hanging basket in my sideyard leading to the backyard which I am still working on.  I can't seem to get it the way I want it.  I purchased wire baskets with liners several years ago so that they would all match hanging on the privacy fence.  I like to buy trays of plants and make my own baskets.  It's not instant gratification but I love to watch them grow and fill up the baskets.

A Rose of Sharon bush (or more like a tree) that is full of blooms

I have a curvy walkway  to the back of the house that I have lined with liriope, lilies, clematis, lamb's ear, jasmine, hydrangeas, etc.   My lilies are so tall this year!  The hanging baskets are spaced along this fence.

And of course I have several angels in my garden.   This one is holding a basket I planted an ivy in so that it will slowly trail down in front of her.  It has grown since I snapped this pic.

Our veggie garden is growing as well.  It's smaller this year but we have planted tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers and I still have to plant okra.  And I am going to try to grow some cotton ...just a little to use for decorating in the Fall.

Now I am off to check on my newest fur baby!  Yes I have a new "baby" too.  He has taken lots of my time lately as well :)

Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

13 comments:

erin said...

hi miss donna! i have been so busy lately too and i have missed you! looks like your gardens are coming together (did you plant any sunflowers this year?)when i am gazing at the stars while sitting in my hot tub, i will think of you down in alabama doing the same. seems like no one is ever around when i spot a shooting star....i love to see those! have fun with your new fur baby??
erin
xxoo

erin said...

hi miss donna! i have been so busy lately too and i have missed you! looks like your gardens are coming together (did you plant any sunflowers this year?)when i am gazing at the stars while sitting in my hot tub, i will think of you down in alabama doing the same. seems like no one is ever around when i spot a shooting star....i love to see those! have fun with your new fur baby??
erin
xxoo

Marilyn said...

Your gardens and flowers are looking so pretty! I, too, like to fill my own pots! One of my favorite TV gardeners (from Colorado) says we should fill them UP, since our growing season is shorter here. I plan to follow his advice. SOON. Most of my annuals are still in the 6 packs as school always keeps me busy. We could be so happy gardening side by side! And we would be able to double head our mowing jobs!♥♫

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful flowers. I love petunias, but when it get so hot in the the Summer here, my always get so "stemy" (is that a word). Have tried pinching them back, but with no luck. Looking forward to hearing about the new furbaby.
Enjoy your evening.

Betty Lou said...

What a beautiful garden, you must have a very green thumb. Like to see that picture of you on your John Deer.

Rebecca said...

Miss D...with my hubby in school our yard looks simply terrible. Worse than terrible. It's FRIGHTENING. More weeds than grass and more dirt than weeds. :( BAH!

Next year it will be better.

Love you...thinking of you today!

xoRebecca

Linda said...

What a beautiful garden, Donna!! I love all your gorgeous photos. The colors are so vibrant. Loving your little garden angels too. :-)

Bianca said...

Just thinking I haven't read anything lately, you're back with this beauties of nature.
I wish I was more in to gardening, but I'm not. I love sitting outside, but gardening isn't my strongest point. Takes too much energy.
Love the idea of a his and hers tracktors ;-))
Hope your hubby can help you soon again keeping the yard.
But... new fur baby?? Pictures!!

Mama Pea said...

Beautiful! So, when you come to decorate my house, you can also help me with my plants. I am so bad at it! Hope hubby's shoulder is healing well. I fell and hurt my shoulder recently and am now scared I'll need that surgery one day!

Creations By Cindy said...

Donna, praying for recovery for your husband. Your yards look great girl. YOUR own mower???? now that is what I say "Love to mow". Hugs and blessings, Cindy

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

I would love to be surrounded with all that color! Glorious :)

Now, who is this new fur baby??
Do tell! I need to know. Ha!!
xo, misha

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love all your pretty flowers, Donna. Especially those purple petunias.

Jen in NY said...

Love those petunias! Everything looks so nice. We just planted our annuals last weekend, I'm going to have to take some pictures too. They're not full yet but I can tell they've grown a bit since we planted them. xo Jen