Monday, July 30, 2012

Making Granny Squares

So many quilting blogs are making granny squares in blogland.  I decided to jump on board.
I grabbed a bundle of fabrics that look vintage and colorful and began to cut and sew.  I have plenty of scraps but I wanted to use these fabrics.  I may make a scrap quilt later. In a short time I had two blocks completed.  I can see why everyone is making them!
This block has lots of purple.  It's fun playing with all the colors and arranging them to look like a colorful granny square.

I said color ... didn't I? lol  I love the bright colors.  All the granny square afghans I remember were always very colorful and cheerful.

I have several more blocks arranged for sewing.  I really enjoyed making these blocks and they were very easy.


If you want to read more about the Great Granny Along or instructions go here.

======================================================

I want to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who sent emails or left a comment this past week. I treasure each one and you all have touched my heart more than you will ever know :)
Here is a picture of Amber's purple balloons we released on the 24th.  They floated up into the gorgeous blue clouds :)

Thanks for visiting.
Hugs,
Donna

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I love that balloon photo. They are gorgeous! And your granny squares are awesome! I want to do that so bad, but I have so many irons in the fire already that I'm exercising restraint! :-)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a great photo of the balloons!!
You have been busy. I had heard of granny squares many times and knew they had something to do with quilting, but was not sure what they were.
Thanks for stopping by and nice comment. Have a great week.

Betty Lou said...

Your Grannies are darling, aren't they fun to make? They are like potato chips----you can't make just one. Amber's tribute was beautiful.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your Granny blocks are wonderful!
This will make a great quilt!
Lovely balloon tribute to Amber. That photo is beautiful!

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

Oh, my! Those balloons with Heaven as a background are too beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us, Donna!
I bet Amber caught each one...
xo, misha

donna said...

Donna I love your granny squares. It is so much fun playing with color and fabric. I know Amber was so happy to see purple balloons come her way.
Hugs
donna

Judi said...

*hugs*....a very sweet and touching post....
Judi