Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sunflowers

I have a passion for sunflowers.  I love to watch them growing out my window as big as dinner plates.
Amber adored them and so they are very special to me.  The bees are loving them too!

The first ones Amber grew were planted in a whiskey barrel that we purchased from Lowe's.  It was easy for her to plant seeds from the wheelchair.  We loved watching them sprout and grow into beautiful huge yellow flowers!  Love seeing the seeds and all their beauty so perfectly lined up.  One of God's creations :)

Huge bees on them as I took the photos. 
They are finally growing in height and the flowers are not quite as big this year probably due to the lack of rain.  Now that we have had rain the smaller ones should grow and reach toward the sky

I had to include a zinnia or as some people call them oldmaids.  Most of mine are all purple for some strange reason :)

This purple crepe myrtle in our back yard is filled with gorgeous blooms.

We have had lots of rain in our area finally!  The flowers are coming back to life.  I don't care how much I water there is nothing like rain water for plants.  My grass is turning green again and the veggie garden is producing all kinds of goods.  I made homemade vegetable soup this week and it was yummy!

I have been busy around my house trying to clean and sew before we  begin our sunporch project.  I can't wait to have all the windows installed and get this project going and finished so I can decorate it!

Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

17 comments:

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Beautiful flowers and I love how sunflowesr have such a special memory for you!

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

So sorry my spelling got mixed up I meant to say Sunflowers!! Have a wonderful day! Enjoy the refreshed flowers after the rain.

Marilyn said...

Beautiful flowers! My wild sunflowers come up willy-nilly and are very early this year. Sometimes on trips to either Denver or to my mom's the prairie is yellow. On my way to Denver today to get my sewing machine and see my favorite daughter and SIL!♥♫

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

Beautiful flowers and a wonderful memory.. I am so glad they are doing well for you , Donna..

hugs
Sonny

My Life and Quilting on the Cape said...

Hi Donna... You Sun flower is just beautiful... Your must have a green thumb... The flowers are very lovely... You have an eye for taking pictures... Hugs to you :)

retrorevival.biz said...

Donna, your flowers are lovely! How wonderful that you've carried on Amber's passion:) I need to get busy planting some sunflowers ~ I love them and have no excuse for not growing them!

~Cindy

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Your sunflowers are beautiful. What a nice way to carry on something that Amber loved. I have a couple of sunflowers that sprouted from the seeds the birds dropped from the feeders.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful flowers. We finally got a little rain, so hoping the flowers will start to come back here.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I love sunflowers too. I never got around to planting them this year, but I have one volunteer that popped up and is making me smile. It's amongst....of course....my zinnias!

Creations By Cindy said...

My sweet Motherinlove loves Sunflowers! They are beautiful Donna! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

BeachGypsy said...

Very pretty! You are brave to get so close with the bees on them!! We planted sunflowers and they are up--but we planted late, so they are not big or blooming yet. Hope they get as big as yours!

Lynn-Teacupstitches said...

What a beautiful happy sunflower!
I can see why they were so special to Amber and also you.
They just make you smile!
Cheers,
Lynn

Shug said...

sunflowers can sure brighten a day. I think they are so pretty and their beauty is something I never get tired of looking at...
soup sounds good!
blessings
Shug

Annmarie Pipa said...

your pictures are beautiful!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
Your pics are so stunning...I really need to improve my camera skills. I agree that rain water is so much better.

Blessings,
Linda

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I think I'll plant some sunflowers next year. I. Love them too.

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

How gorgeous, Donna! Every year we have had sunflowers...except this year and I miss them!
Have a lovely :)
xo, misha