Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sunroom Progress

I couldn't show you an ugly picture to open a blog post.   So while I was outside this morning I took this picture of a sunflower opening up in my backyard garden.   I love growing sunflowers!

So now on to our sunroom update.  Ugly picture next ...
My husband began tearing out the screen porch before I could snap a picture.  No let me be real honest and say that I took the first swing at the screen!  I tore the first hole in it ... something I have wanted to do for a long time.  This porch has been like this since 1994.  Here it was in all its ugliness. The screen and some wood is already down at this point. Our deck with all my stuff piled on it at this point is to the right in this pic with the garden sign.

It's looking better!  I am standing on the deck where you enter the sunroom.  The carpenters put in the windows and door on Monday.  Looks much better now.  Progress finally!!  Please ignore the stickers on the windows and door.  The siding has been added and trim will be added around the doors and windows.

It is a work in progress but this looks so much better!  (We have the windows open from the top and the window screens are not straight in this pic)  I am going to love this room.  We enjoyed the screen porch but being enclosed on two sides it was so hot in the summer.  It became a place to pile stuff.  It is right off our dining room where the bay window is in the picture.  We originally thought about using all glass but  I wanted to have fresh air in the Spring and Fall if I want to let the windows up.
This will be an ongoing project for a few weeks.  There is tile to be laid, painting the ceiling and adding a couple more electrical outlets under the windows.  We will be doing the work ourselves and take our time.

And now to leave you with another pretty flower .. a pink zinnia!

Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

14 comments:

Linda said...

Your back porch looks amazing! I LOVE all the windows!!!!

Bianca said...

Oh wow, how lovely your sunroom is going to be!! Would love something like that! It a very big improvement, that's for sure....
Don't you just love those handy guys that build stuff like that?!
Enjoy your new room and addition to your house.
Bianca

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Donna,
It's looking great!! I like how y'all went with the windows...I would have done the same thing.

Blessings,
Linda

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

I am so tickled for you Donna..

it looks fabulous and will definately add value to your Life and your Home. will you be able to use it year round? I love it.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You are going to really enjoy the sunroom so much. I like the idea of the windows also. Looking forward to seeing more.

Deborah said...

You have such a lovely blog. I am quite taken with your blog header.....and I see you are sewing granny blocks, too!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I'm officially jealous of your sunroom. How wonderful!!!

Marilyn said...

This is looking fabulous!! It will be a great place in the spring and fall. Will you have a ceiling fan to help the air circulate? I'd love to sit and have friend time with you in there!!♥♫

Betty Lou said...

That is going to be such a great room, I'm sure it will get a lot of use. We had a sun room in our house in California and we loved it. It was great to eat in the sun room and watch the deer or whatever animals happened into our front yard.

Mama Pea said...

That is going to be such a fantastic room when you are done! I am only a little jealous right now! I love it!

Creations By Cindy said...

Donna it is all coming together so nicely! It is going to be beautiful! Can't wait for update with more pics. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

Oh, lucky you, Donna! I would love this room and never leave :) When we screend in our front porch, it made it much more livable,plus it is the fave hangout of the pups and kitties!
But, I would love a sunroom! Cannot wait to see it finished. Oooh and you get to decorate it too! Fun :)
xo, misha

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

Donna,
I've just started reading your blog and really like it! You have a great style of decorating and writing. I've just started a blog, so I'm still learning how things work. I thought you may be interested in seeing a blog written by a sweet Mom (I used to babysit her!!) who also lost a daughter. The Mom's name is - Amber. Here is a link. http://momminus1.wordpress.com She only writes occasionally, but it's all done so beautifully.
I'll be stopping by to see your sunroom progress!

LuAnn said...

Your porch is going to be just wonderful, and you are really going to enjoy it. I am envious. Happy birthday to your girl, too!