Friday, October 19, 2012

Pecan Pie

For years I made pecan pies from many recipes.  Many times the recipe would not "set up" and would be runny.  My husband loves pecan pies and I have made many over our 35 years of marriage.

A few years ago one of my best friends gave me this recipe that was her mother-in-laws.  I tried it and will never use another pecan pie recipe.  It turns out perfectly for me every time I make it.
I think maybe using real butter was the trick to being consistent.


Pecan Pie

1 stick real butter
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup light corn syrup

1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ cups pecans

Melt butter in saucepan. Let butter cool completely.  Mix the beaten eggs, corn syrup, sugar and vanilla together with the cooled butter. Add the pecans. Pour into pie shell and bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour or until done. (Every oven is different but I bake mine 1 hour in my convection oven)  Cool completely before cutting.

The recipe is intended for 2 pies, however I use Mrs. Smith’s deep dish pie crusts. I fill one pie crust and use the leftover mixture  in a couple of ramekins and bake until they are done.   I am not going to waste the yummy filling :)


With the holidays coming up I am sure I will be making several pecan pies for my family.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs,
Donna

11 comments:

Susan said...

We love Pecan Pie! I always make one for Thanksgiving and in between I make miniature Pecan tarts (recipe is on my blog) which are fast and just the right bite, XOXO

Glenda/MidSouth said...

That looks so good! I love a good pecan pie. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Enjoy your weekend.

Betty Lou said...

Sounds so good, I'll give it a try soon and let you know. I always forget when shopping is it light or dark Karo--just remember light and I'll be O.K. Hugs

Deborah said...

Oh yum! This looks fabulous! My mother loved pecan pie. It was always her favorite!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Yummmmy! Have you ever made chocolate pecan pie? That's one of my favorites. Your pie looks absolutely delicious.

And I adore your basket with the pyracantha. We had lots of those in our neighborhood when I was growing up. We always threw the little berries at each other.

Bianca said...

Tasted PecanPie for the first time at het Oak Alley Plantation. I LOVE it!! Allready bought me a bottle of cornsyrup so I could try to make it myself. This recepie is heaven send, thanks for that!!!
When I get home I will surely give it a try.

Jann Olson said...

Pecan pie is my favorite pie. I use my moms recipe and it always works well. I think it's the same as yours, only I use dark karo. I have always used butter. Yours looks so yummy! Wish I had a slice. lol!Hugs,
Jann

Mama Pea said...

Pumpkin pie is just my favorite.

Mama Pea said...

I meant pecan pie. Sorry. I was having a sneezing fit when I was typing that! LOL. I do love pumpkin pie, too, but I meant pecan pie is my favorite!

Aunt 'Reen said...

I've been looking for a perfect Pecan Pie recipe for YEARS...!!! Thank you so much for sharing this one Donna. I'm going to try this recipe for Thanksgiving!

hugs,
Doreen

Zane Wooder said...

I was never really a pie person but this pie looks really good. I want to follow the recipe and make his tonight.

-zane