Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Vintage Cemetery Basket

I purchased this basket several years ago from a local antique store.  I knew I had seen these baskets  years ago.  I just forgot where ... cemeteries when I was a little girl! 
 
It's a vintage cemetery basket.  I love all things metal and of course if it is a basket that makes it better! 
 
A few weeks ago I spotted this brightly colored bush across from our house in an overgrown area.  We live off a busy highway and the field is deserted.  I noticed it everytime I would walk to the mailbox.  
 I researched the bush online and found that it is a Firethorn shrub.
 Pyracantha is a genus of thorny evergreen large shrubs in the family Rosaceae, with common names Firethorn or Pyracantha.
 
Love the detail in the base of the basket ... see why I love it!
It doesn't have many thorns but I snipped and "borrowed" a few pieces and  plopped the Firethorn in the basket filled with water.  I placed it on my front porch. 
 I knew it would be lovely in an arrangement for the house but wasn't sure if it was safe for animals. My "furbabies" in the house would have a wonderful time with the little berries.  That's why it is outside!
 
I tried to get a better picture so I  placed it on the steps for picture taking.  I think it makes a lovely Fall arrangement with the brightly colored orange berries.   I placed a few pieces in my front yard display I posted here.  The berries look so pretty on the white pumpkins.
You just never know what kind of  "pretties" you might find this time of year.
 
Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

10 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The basket is perfect for the berries. I bet they are really pretty with the white pumpkins also. I use to see a lot of those baskets around when on my junkin trips.
Hope you are enjoying your week.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Te berries look so pretty in the basket!

Susan said...

When I lived on the east coast, it was the Bittersweet in the woods I would pick for swags around my doors and adding to my baskets. Now, I collect pine cones!

Ellen in Oregon said...

Donna -
I saw your message today about trying to contact me. I must have accidently checked the no email by mistake. Thanks for alerting me & the contact should be available now. You are so lucky to have the beautiful Pyrocantha berries to "borrow". The wonderful basket and berries make a great display. I will haveto start walking around my neighborhood with a pair of pruning shears tucked in my coat.

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a beautiful Basket of Berries! You've made such a lovely arrangement with both of those wonderful "finds". LOVE IT!

Deborah said...

I DO remember those vintage baskets. What a wonderful find. Such a lovely arrangement!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh your basket of berries is gorgeous! I remember baskets like that too. Love the New life you gave it.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I have never heard of such a thing but like you I love it!

Jann Olson said...

Donna my mom always put baskets like this on the graves for Memorial Day. So when I ran across a couple I had to snatch them up also. I often use that thorny Pyracantha for my Fall decor but haven't this year. I'm thinking I should pull out one of my baskets and do the same for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the inspiration!
Hugs,
Jann

Mama Pea said...

It's a beautiful basket, and I love what you put in it. It looks gorgeous and will be great for the upcoming holidays.