Monday, November 5, 2012

Homegrown Cotton

This summer I wanted to grow some cotton for decorating purposes around the house.  There are cotton fields all over our area and it is beautiful looking out into the fields of white.  
 
I thought I would go buy some cotton seed and grow a few rows.  I didn't realize you had to buy huge bags of seed! Perfect for a cotton grower but not me.  Thankfully my husband knows a cotton farmer and he saved me a handful of seed after planting acres and acres of cotton.
I planted the precious seed and watched it grow all summer.  It doesn't take much to entertain me :)   I waited and waited for the pods to pop open.  Finally I began to see white in those little pods.
  
I love my cotton arrangement.  It looks like white flower blooms. 

Pure fluff!
 
I needed something heavy to arrange it in and I remembered I had this old galvanized thermos with the glass insert still intact.
 
I love this old galvanized piece filled with my "white flowers". 
 
 
I have three short rows of cotton and I have plenty to decorate with around the house.  I may decorate a small Christmas tree and call it my "cotton pickin" tree.  It will look like snow on the tree. 
 
I still have plenty of cotton to pick but for now I love looking out the windows and seeing my little sea of white.
 
Have a good week and thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna
 
I am joining Linda at Coastal Charm for NTT

19 comments:

Susan said...

That is SO cool!
I love stuff like that, too.
I am deeply infatuated with pussy willows, myself!
I wonder if your cotton growing friend even notices how beautiful it is?

Deborah said...

I've never thought of growing cotton in a home garden! What a great idea. It's really beautiful! Then are you going to turn it into fabric or yarn? lol

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You may have just started something around blog land. :-D I like your cotton bouquet!

Jana said...

Love your cotton bouquet! Isn't it amazing to think that our beautiful fabric starts out like this!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Love that you grew the cotton for your bouquet! I've never seen cotton growing in person, but I've seen a few fields of it in blogs this fall. I've seen other people using the bolls in bouquets and just love it.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

This is so funny Donna...as we were driving to the beach on Sat.,and seeing all the cotton fields, I told my hubs that I wanted to plant some cotton next summer. Now after seeing your beautiful cotton, I just might do it. I just need a cotton farmer friend:) Thanks for sharing at my party today.

Blessings,
Linda

Gail said...

OMGoodness, I love your cotton bouquet! My husband bought me some for our wedding anniversary!! I just posted about them. I would love to grow some but I'm not sure how well they would do here. Enjoy your day, Gail

Salmagundi said...

That's perfect! I love it -- I wonder if cotton would grow in my Colorado garden? Thanks for sharing. Sally

Penny Phillips said...

I love the idea that you grew your own cotton! Beautiful bouquet!
Hugs, Penny

Miriam said...

Very pretty!
I have never seen cotton growing before.

mississippi artist said...

Well as a MS girl, I love cotton.Did you know you can save seeds from the cotton you grew? Our Goveners mansion had a lot of cotton stalks mixed in on the Christmas tree last year and a HUGE bouquet of cotton on the foyer table.

Marilyn said...

What a fun summer crop!! I know it won't grow here, but the thought of it just makes me smile!! Thanks for stopping by and understanding my feelings. Enjoy this November week--ours looks to be warm until the weekend. That's usually how it goes.♥♫

Mama Pea said...

I just love it! How cool! Way to go on growing it and finding the seed. I really love the galvanized thermos, too. How cool. What an eye you have!

erin said...

love it, love it, LOVE IT!
erin
xxoo

Yael Ben-Ari said...

I Love your cotton bouquet. They are so pretty.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

Aunt 'Reen said...

WOW... I love your Cotton bouquet!
How awesome that you grew it yourself! What a wonderful accomplishment. Fun..fun!

AshTreeCottage said...

Everything about this arrangement is perfect ~ I love it! Now I want to grow some cotton too.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

W. Latane Barton said...

Goodness gracious... growing cotton. I am from the deep south originally and there are plenty of cotton fields down there. Even here in Va. we see huge fields of white. It's so pretty

Susan said...

Donna, what a great idea! It reminded me when we were in England and the cottages we passed had hops growing up trellises for ornamental purposes. I love the container and it makes the perfect vignette:-D