Thursday, February 6, 2014

Adventures of Living in the South

Thank you for all the comments on my last post about the snow.  I did have to stay at Jennifer's house for two nights because there was no way I could make it home.  It was a huge mess for days.  Once I left Jennifer's I got on a super busy main highway and it was crazy.  There were so many cars just left parked like a parking lot.  Some facing the opposite direction of where they should be going.   I have never seen so many cars left parked ON the highways.  Once I made it to the Interstate it also looked like a parking lot where people left their cars parked.  People slept in their cars in the freezing cold.  I heard on the news that over 1100 students  spent the night at school.  I am sure the teachers were exhausted!!  It was just a crazy event for the South!  Snow is so rare for us and we are not equipped with salt trucks or snow plows.  It took me about and hour and forty-five minutes to get home.  My normal drive is about fifty minutes.
 
My sweet husband was so glad to see me :)  Actually he would have driven in his big four wheel drive truck to pick me up if I had asked him.  It was better for us to stay safe.  He really missed me!  He loves to talk and he had no one to talk to except our furbabies :)  He talked my ears off when I did get home!  Gotta love him :)
 
Today we had a few snow flurries and people began to get concerned!  I know this has to be amazing to people who live in the colder states but only in the South :) 
 
Tuesday was my birthday ... I am now fifty-five!  I guess that makes me a senior citizen!  I wonder if I get discounts now at the senior rate? LOL 
 
We went to Jennifer's (she had the day off) and went to lunch and birthday cake ...yum 
Maggie Kate so wanted to dig into the cake!  I finally let her put a finger in it  She's going to love her first birthday with a "smash" cake!!  This little girl is so much fun!  My birthday cake last year said I was going to be a Nonna :)  Now look at the precious little girl we have in our lives.  How our lives can change in just a year.  We all feel that if we had Amber here our lives would be complete.
 
I have a quilting project I began last year for Easter and I hope to share it soon.  It has only taken me a year to complete it!
 
Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
Donna

15 comments:

Betty Lou said...

Sweet picture of your little angel and her Nonna.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Happy Belated Birthday Donna!!! I think I knew that our birthdays were just a few days apart, but I didn't know that we are the same age :) Senior discount here we come!!!! What a sweet pic of you and Maggie Kate. We had some sleet this afternoon...hurry up and get here SPRING...counting the days.

Blessings,
Linda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Glad you go home safe. Happy Birthday!! Yes - be sure and ask about the discounts. A few flurries heer today, but the forecast looks grim for next Monday and Tuesday. :(

Miriam said...

A belated Happy Birthday Donna!!
A great photo of you and Maggie Kate.

Glad you got home safely. Sounds like the roads were a disaster!

retrorevival.biz said...

Happy birthday, Sweet Donna! You're not old, just gorgeous! And your granddaughter?! LOVE the picture of the two of you:)

Susan said...

Happy Birthday, dear friend! This week was special with our newest granddaughter turning 2 years old--you're right, so much can change in a year! XOXO

Marilyn said...

Since my two sweeties were in Denver at work, I told them to stay in town as we were having snow, wind, and dangerously sub-zero temperatures. I told them that being safe and warm was a gift to me! Your husband sounds a lot like Wally...he LOVED to talk. And, even though I was only seven miles from school, he would often take me and pick me up during snow storms. I know we both miss our loved ones. May you be blessed.♥♫

Bianca said...

A bit late now, but Happy Birthday Sweet Donna!!! You don't look nearly old enough to be grandmother yet, but oh dear, what a sweetheart that little girl is.
Yes, so much can happen in a year, sometimes just way too much for one to comprehend....
Love how your husband misses you so much in just two days. For us it's all to normal being apart for the week, but sometimes I would like to be missed that much too!
Have a nice weekend. Looking forward to your quilt!

Jeanna said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday Donna. 55 barely makes you a senior citizen but I say takes advantage of the benefits of that...where you can find them :)

So glad you made it home safe and sound. Sounds like your sweet husband was happy too. Such precious moments!

Can't believe how big your darling little grand baby is getting. She is a doll!

Can't wait to see your Easter quilt.

Camille said...

Happy belated birthday my friend! How wonderful that you had your precious little Maggie Kate to hold in your birthday cake photo. She's a doll. Hugs to you! Camille

Creations By Cindy said...

Happy Belated birthday lady! Awe...adorable picture of you and your sweet granddaughter! You are very blessed! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sandy said...

Happy Birthday Donna!
Maggie Kate is changing every day and bringing you much joy.
I know you will soon be posting the spring blossoms.

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

Hope you had a great birthday - and now you probably have MORE snow!

donna said...

That is such a beautiful picture of y'all. Happy Belated Birthday and Happy Valentine's Day.
Hugs
donna

BeachGypsy said...

That birthday cake looks amazing!!! YUM! I am getting back to blogging and just stopped in to see what's new and to say hi!